Author Topic: 1841 census lookup please  (Read 3946 times)

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census lookup please
« on: Friday 15 September 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
Could anyone look on the 1841 census for Cadell (farm) Ardrossan. Name John McLauchlan wife Janet (Speir). May have several children including Robert Speir McLauchlan.  If they are not there they may still be in West Kilbride.
Many thanks

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
John MacLauchlan 1761 Born Ayrshire  Ardrossan
Janet    ditto         1811    ditto                    ditto
Ann       ditto         1811
Janet                  1835
Margaret             1838
ROBERT              1841
Elizabeth            1840
Janet  Auld          1826
Ardrossan  Glasgow Street
occ just says Ind.
Parish number 576  Ed 5  Page 2
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
FreeCen (www.freecen.org.uk) has almost 90% of the 1841 census for Ayrshire transcribed and the family you're looking for is there.  The FreeCen transcription also has the occupations of John McLAUCHLAN (Plasterer) as well some other people who appear to have been living in the same household (GIBBS & McCREDIE).  The FreeCen transcription also has a different name for his wife - Margaret.  ???

You would need to have a look at an image of the original page from the enumerator's book to see which is right.  www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk (pay per view) is the only site I know of which has these images available online.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt replies.  However they leave a lot to be sorted.  John MacLauchlan born 1761 appears to be the grandfather of
Janet born 1835, Robert 1841, Elizabeth 1840 and Margaret 1838.  According to my records the father of these children was John McLauchlan born 1800 to John McLauchlan(d) and Janet White of Dreghorn who were married in Stevenston 1794 . Their son, John, born 1800 married Janet Speirs.  So many Johns and Janets and this continues right down the line to my uncle!
I will keep looking at the censuses but so far no real results other than your help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
From IGI, all actual extracts from the OPRs, in case you don't have the specific dates, to parents John Mclauchlan and Janet Speirs:

1. JANET MCLACHLAN  Christening: 20 JUL 1834 West Kilbride, Ayr, Scotland
2. MARGARET MCLAUCHLAN Christening: 11 MAR 1838 West Kilbride, Ayr, Scotland
3. ELIZABETH MCLAUCHLAN Christening: 08 OCT 1839 West Kilbride, Ayr, Scotland
4. ANN MCLAUCHLAN Birth: 22 MAR 1847 Ardrossan, Ayr, Scotland
5. JANE MCLAUCHLAN Birth: 14 JAN 1845 Ardrossan, Ayr, Scotland
6. MARY HOLMES MCLAUCHLAN Christening: 28 FEB 1836 West Kilbride, Ayr, Scotland

This is one of those IGI batch nos. where only the girls' births/christenings were loaded, therefore, for West Kilbride for this period (1819-1854) no boys' birth/christenings are showing (except from SP, if available).

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 September 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica. I am surprised that I can't find some or all of those names on the 1841 census. Either they missed the census or they are in the 10% which is not yet added. I will keep trying every so often.
Jean

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 September 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Jean

I'm confused! I think that the 1841 census info by Isobel is your family:

John MacLauchlan 1761 Born Ayrshire  Ardrossan
Janet    ditto         1811    ditto                    ditto
Ann       ditto         1811
Janet                  1835
Margaret             1838
ROBERT              1841
Elizabeth            1840
Janet  Auld          1826
Ardrossan  Glasgow Street

The names all match the IGI entries for their children. John, husband of Janet, would appear to be away from home on Census night. But his father John Snr. is living with them it seems and possibly a sister, Ann. I've looked at the FreeCen entry, Janet is showing as 'Grocer'. John Snr. as 'Independent'.   

Why don't you think you've found them yet?

Monica

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 September 06 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica.  My uncertainty arises from several things, although I think some of them are correct.
1. I think that John was born in Stevenston but that may be wrong
2. Janet Spier, the wife of John Mclauchlan born 1800, was born in 1807 in Biglees, West Kilbride.
3. Janet, born 1811 and Ann ditto, are probably the daughters of John born 1761.
4.The other children, Janet 1835, Margaret 1838, Elizabeth 1840, were all born in West Kilbride.  Robert, my great grandfather, was the only one born in Ardrossan.

Now for my theory: I think you are correct that this is the right family and the Grandchildren are staying with their Grandfather and Aunts. In the 1819 census for Stevenston John McLauchland (so many different spellings) was living in Canal Street, Stevenston with four children, John, Janet, Ann and Charles, together with his wife Janet White. I have the marriage "certificate" for them and everything tallies in later births etc.

Hope you haven't found this too boring and again many thanks for everyone's help.
Jean

The parents are most likely at Caddell farm where they are noted in the 1851 census as having 150acres.  At this time Ann, the aunt was living with them.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
Jean

That makes sense now! In which case, as you've said, John and wife Janet are probably in the 10% not yet transcribed on FreeCen.  Either Ancestry's 1841 index for Scotland or Scotlands People would be where to search for them.

Regards.

Monica