Author Topic: Totally Peeved - 1861 - Pilley  (Read 3584 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Peeved - 1861 - Pilley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Caz

Yeah I have seen that one. I also think that the Eliza you found might actually be Jacob Senior's niece... he had a brother Charles who had a daughter Eliza in 1847 - and she isn't with the family in 1861 so I believe that Eliza is Charles's daughter and not Jacobs.

A look into that Joseph shows he is actually Joseph Polley - son of a Samuel and Sarah in 1851.

So back to the drawing board.

Ugh its so frustrating!

Thanks again though!

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:08 BST (UK) »
Waaaa!

These guys are really obscure!
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:16 BST (UK) »
Why oh why did they do this to me?

They have been so good on all the other censuses so why duck out of this one?

I know Joseph died young as I think I found a burial for him - down as a John instead - age fits and area fits and as Pilley is a rareish name I'm pretty certain it is him and that he has just been mistranscribed on the NBI.

I know none of the others died between 1851 and 1861 so they should all be there. Eliza married a George Eve after 1861, Mary went on to have an illegitimate daughter Ruth Mary Eliza in 1871 and Jacob junior married Jane Cowlin in 1880 - (there was a man who consistently lied about his age - but his birth certificate proves it to me lol!) And the parents didn't die until 1882 and 1886.

Perhaps they fell on hard times and ended up in a workhouse and were just under initials, but I've not come across people as just initials in Chelmsford Workhouse. I just dont want to admit defeat...

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
I know the feeling!

It's become a bit of a mission to me... don't really fancy trawling through all of Chelmsford, Springfield etc (although did make it through Chelmsford district 1  :-[ )
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Yeah I know what you mean, I started it a while ago but just was so daunted by the amount of pages I would have to trawl through. Perhaps I'll just do it in sections.

Oh and I won a years free World Deluxe membership to ancestry last week for doing an online survey for Your Family Tree Magazine a while back - as I was already a member I got upgraded and so have 13 months free! So at least I dont have to worry about renewing my membership next month!

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:59 BST (UK) »
you lucky thing!  :D

I'll help you trawl if you wanna split it up?

Caz

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 September 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Yeah sure.

I'm away from home at the moment - at the in laws on the Isle of Wight. So when I get back tomorrow I can start my half of the trawl.

So you've done Chelmsford district one - so I'll do district two and we'll just alternate and then if there is no joy there, then we can move on to Springfield?

Thanks again - you are a star!

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 September 06 17:17 BST (UK) »
No problem :)

here's to success!!

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 September 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
There will be drinks all round if we do eventually find them!

Lets hope they are in number two...  ;)