Author Topic: William Charles COOK born 1824, died 1911  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Charles COOK born 1824, died 1911
« on: Saturday 16 September 06 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hello all. This is my first time doing this. I am looking for information on WILLIAM CHARLES COOK born 1824 in Devon, possibly Bideford. Sorry, but I have no clue who his parents were. He married HANNAH EVANS (born 1846) when she was 18 years old, married in 1864 and then came to Canada. According to FreeBMD, they married in Bideford, Devon. I know there is quite a difference in ages. I have a pic of their tombstone and those are the dates. ANY INFORMATION AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED. EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles Cook born 1824, died 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 06 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gotcha

I have found a marriage of William Cook to Hannah Evans in Apr/May/June quarter of 1867, in Bideford Devon.

Do you have any details of when they left Devon? Any other relevant info ..such as siblings to william or Hannah  may make the search easier.

By the way , welcome to Rootschat. It is  a great place to be when searching for old rellies  ;D, people are great here!

regards
Deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 06 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb. Thank you for your reply.  :D Hannah's parents were John Evans 1821-1866 & Elizabeth May, (Elizabeth's parents were William May born about 1798 in Merton Devon & Betsy Yelland) (no dates). As far as I know, they came to Canada with Hannah & William after they got married. William & Hannah settled in a little town called Kirkton, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. Then moved to St. Mary's, Ontario which is a short distance from Kirkton. Hannah's siblings were, I think, William Evans, Isaac Evans, Evan Evans, John T. Evans, Elizabeth Evans, Joseph Evans. When John Evans Sr. died, Elizabeth married Thomas White and had 2 more children Emma May White & Amanda Jane White. I have nothing on William Charles Cook's parents or siblings. Very hard to come by when you don't know where to start. I do know William & Hannah's children, Emelia born about 1865 (which is why I thought 1864 would have been closer to marriage date), William John 1874-1950, Frederick 1878-1947, Albert 1881-1964, Charles Walter 1882-1912, James 1885-1917 (my grandfather), Samuel 1888-1890, Sidney 1891-1891. I hope this information would be of help to you in helping me. Hope to hear from you again. Again, thank you for your help. I am forever indebted to your service.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 06 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well i must admit I am stumped. I cannot find anyone  >:( ???

I will keep on looking..... I cannot even find Hannah Evans and her family prior to her marrying William Cook.

Maybe the best thing to do is order the marriage certificate of  William Cook to Hannah Evans , June quarter 1867, Bideford Devon and from there you should see what  their Father's names were. 

This is the only possible I can see in 1841:

Devon
Registration district ; bideford
Parish: Abbotsham

John Cook 40 yeoman (b abt 1801)
Grace  45  b abt 1796
John 15     b abt 1826
samuel 10 b abt 1831
george 3   b abt 1838
WILLIAM 15 (b abt 1826) cabinet maker
Grace 10    b abt 1831
Ann 5         b abt 1836