Author Topic: Garethboxing....our Jones!!  (Read 2821 times)

Offline ems girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garethboxing....our Jones!!
« on: Saturday 16 September 06 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth,
Got a "short" result back from search on the Jones and Thomas lot in Ystradfellte.Parish registers were checked as far back as 1766 and these are all the entries they found:
Jones family:
Evan Jones married Gwenllian Jones (typical!!) 21st June 1817 in presence of 1 unreadable and John Thomas.
Theres' a baptism entry for Gwenllian Jones 14th April 1793 dau of William and Margaret Jones, but it was Evan we were looking to link yours with!

On same marriage page there is Morgan Jones and Diana (cant read surname) both of the parish.

The Thomas family just as short:
Evan Thomas married Mary Lloyd 24th Dec 1810 in presence of David Jones and John Thomas.
Also found a son I hadn't.....baptism of Thomas Thomas 28th Jan 1812 son of Evan Thomas by his wife Mary.

Says by absence of entries it suggests they may have been non-conformists, so there may be no records!

Maybe, when you go again there might be something you find . For how tiny the village was I cant see Evan and your Morgan not being related. Just wish they'd found Evans baptism...The Jones one.
Morgan=Aberdare/Hirwaun
Thomas=Brecon/hirwaun
Havard=Brecon/Hirwaun
Beynon=Hirwaun
Perkins=llanboidy
Checkett=Lancaster
choake=plymouth/Lancaster
Birkett=Lancaster
Hughes=Corwen

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Garethboxing....our Jones!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
I hope to get into Glam Record Office next week and delve some more. I'll look out for any connections.
   Morgan Jones's family certainly became Methodists (for a while, they reverted to CofE later) but his birth is in the Ystradfellte register so I assume his parents weren't. Morgan by the 1841 Census was listed as a "gentleman farmer", so there must have been a bit of money around and the gentry were generally Anglicans.
   It's a long haul but we'll get there!
    Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ems girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garethboxing....our Jones!!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
And my Jones' were the rich farmers, while my Thomas' were not quite so well to do.....even though they lived 2 farms away..lol!
Fingers crossed for your next visit, Jane.
Morgan=Aberdare/Hirwaun
Thomas=Brecon/hirwaun
Havard=Brecon/Hirwaun
Beynon=Hirwaun
Perkins=llanboidy
Checkett=Lancaster
choake=plymouth/Lancaster
Birkett=Lancaster
Hughes=Corwen