Author Topic: RAZZELL - Dorking 1836  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RAZZELL - Dorking 1836
« on: Saturday 16 September 06 10:10 BST (UK) »
I've been told that a Thomas RAZZELL was the licencee of The George Inn, Dorking in 1836.
Can anyone confirm this or find him on the 1841 census?
Thank you.

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: RAZZELL - Dorking 1836
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 06 10:40 BST (UK) »
There are 2 R[a/o]zzell families in 1841 Dorking.

One has a Thomas as Head, an AgLab, with a 25 year old son Thomas also an AgLab -  the other family has a 25 year old Milly as notional head, with 2 children named Razzell - one is a 2 year old Thomas

Here's the reference for the AgLab family - they live in:-

Kings Head Square, Dorking ..

HO107/1081/6
Registration district of Dorking 
Folio 29 
Page 14

All born in County..

Thomas Rozzell (sic) 53 Ag Lab
Mary Rozzell 55
Thomas Rozzell 25 Ag Lab
Elizabeth Rozzell 20
James Rozzell 15
John Rozzell 5

There is also a variant of the name in Kingston on Thames - a Grocer ..
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information and the speed of the reply.
Iwill look into both the extracts you mention. 
I had found Millie (Amelia) on the 1851 census as the wife of a Richard KENT - she had 2 RAZZELL children with her, John,17 & Thomas 13
What was the name of  the  third child on the 1841 census?

Are there any parish registers for Dorking available online?

I'm very grateful for your help.
Thank you
Pat

Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry - my mistake, there were only John and Thomas - ages match - I counted Millie as #3

PRs - look here:-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountySurrey.htm#D

Offline damikinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 06 18:18 BST (UK) »
I cannot throw any light on a Thomas RAZZELL being a licensee in Dorking in 1836,but I can add a little to the Thomas and Mary RO(A)ZZELL in the 1841 census at Dorking.

A Will drawn up on the 18th July 1838 for an ancestor of mine,namely Elvy Dean RIDLEY,makes a bequest to a "Mary RAZEL of Dorking........child(ren) of my late brother Drewry RIDLEY late of Worth,Sussex."

There was a Codicil added to the Will on Oct.22 1842 in which it stated as one of the named nieces had died,that her daughter was to receive her share.This was not Mary RAZEL thus indicating she was still alive at that date.

The Will was proved on Sept.9,1843.

I'm sorry that I cannot add anything further.

Dave.
BONIFACE,Hoxton & Chatham.
CARTER,Bucks & Middx.
KINCH,Berks.
RIDLEY,Surrey.
STREETER,Croydon.

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave,

Actually that ties in very well with a christening I have just discovered - James Drury RAZELL christened in 1825 s/o Thomas & Mary.

Looking at the age Thomas RAZZELL I think the person I'm looking for may be his son Thomas  born in 1816.

On the 1841 census: the order of the entries make me wonder whether the son Thomas is married to Elizabeth and John is their son.  Could this Thomas have been the licencee in 1836?

Thomas Rozzell [sic] 53 Ag Lab
Mary Rozzell 55
Thomas Rozzell 25 Ag Lab
Elizabeth Rozzell 20
John Rozzell 5
James Rozzell 15

Thanks for your help.

Pat

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 06 18:53 BST (UK) »
you found the PRs OK then ?

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 06 19:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, given one sees no relationships in the 1841, Thos Jnr & Elizabeth could be a couple and John their son, with James the youngest son of Thos Snr ...

However, given that Thos is an Agricultural Labourer, I'm hesitant to agree he could have been a Licencee ....

Offline damikinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 06 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat.
Thomas,Elizabeth,Ann and James were,according to the IGI,all born with parents by the names of Thomas and Mary,and all baptised at Dorking.

I think it is safe to assume that they are siblings.

The baptism dates are listed as,

Thomas.July 14,1816.
Elizabeth.April 23,1820.
Ann.Nov.10,1822.
James Drury.Dec.14,1825.

This is IGI information and is not yet proven.

I think it highly unlikely that Thomas(1816) would have been a licensee in 1836 as he may have been too young.

Regarding Amelia (or Milly) this may be a red herring.
In 1841 she is listed as Milly at Dorking,and in the same household are John RAZZELL and Thomas RAZZELL.On the next page is Richard KENT along with an 8 year old Richard KENT.In 1851 she was listed as Amelia KENT,and the 2 boys that were with her in the 1841 household are know known as John Razzell KENT and Thomas Razzell KENT.Of course,we do not know if this was an attempt to deceive the census enumerator,or if the enumerator assumed the children were Richard Kent's children,although it is possible they were his children but born out of wedlock.

It is curious to note that on the 1851 census there is a Thomas RAZZELL aged 34 staying with Richard and Amelia KENT and described as "brother".The Thomas RAZZELL that was the son of Thomas and Mary did not appear to have a sister named Amelia or Milly.But we cannot say for certain until either a baptism is found for Amelia or a marriage date is found for Thomas RAZZELL and Mary RIDLEY.Mary who was born about 1795 would have been old enough to have been married and had a child by 1813,which was the year Amelia was born according to the 1851 census.

Dave.

BONIFACE,Hoxton & Chatham.
CARTER,Bucks & Middx.
KINCH,Berks.
RIDLEY,Surrey.
STREETER,Croydon.

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk