Author Topic: Bastardy quarter sessions BELL  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Bastardy quarter sessions BELL
« on: Sunday 17 September 06 00:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace WILLIAM BELL, son of JULIA BELL in the Bastardy records. I sent for the 1857 list from the Devon FHS believing that it was the year he was born but nothing there. Does anyone have the 1856 or 1858 records, or any record of it around that time?    ::)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy quarter sessions BELL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 06 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi   :)

What exactly are you trying to find out about  William?

I have found him in 1861  where it states that he is 4, born 1857 in exeter. I also have him in 1871 living with his mum Julia and his step father , William Street plus his step brothers and sisters.

Do you have this info ? If not would you like me to post it for you?

;D
Deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb
Thanks, I do have that information. The reason I am looking for the Bastardy records is because I can't track down his birth date to send for the certificate. He was born in Exeter but there are so many parishes that I'm not sure which one he was born in and is it was a common name, there are a few to choose from around 1857. His marriage cert in August 1884 indicates that he was 27 at the time. I'm not sure whether Devon Council will do a check on possible certificates.  ???
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline susanmary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

When you say you have looked in the Quarter Sessions bastardy records, do you mean the little index booklets published by the Small Projects Group of DFHS? If so, these won't help you because they cover the county of Devon, not the city of Exeter. I know, because I wrote the foreword for the bastardy indexes!

If you have an approximate year of birth, you can write to the Register Office and ask for a copy of the birth certificate. The address is Castle Street, Exeter.

Good luck.

Sue

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 06 22:54 BST (UK) »
The other thing you need to be aware of is that bastardy cases would only be taken to the quarter sessions if paternity was being contested or there were problems for some other reasons in getting a father who could afford it to pay.

You are more likely to be successful looking at the poor law union records or those of the overseers of the poor.  If there was an agreement made directly or using the Justices of the Peace there is unlike ly to be any record.  The other place is of course the vestry minutes but as you say that means knowing which parish to look in.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susanmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 06 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

This case is a bit more complicated just because it is Exeter. The quarter sessions records which are indexed are annual returns made by the petty sessions of affiliation orders so they are different from the disputed paternity cases which you mention. At this date, it was the responsibility of the mother to apply for maintenance for her baby, not the overseers of the poor. It is possible that William, as an illegitimate child, may have been born in the workhouse, but Exeter workhouse records were destroyed in the bombing in 1942. Exeter didn't have a poor law union, but a Corporation of the Poor, which dealt with all the poor law cases in the city parishes.

You could guess that William was born in the workhouse, and in that case he may have been baptised in Heavitree parish church, but it would be quicker to ask the Superintendant Registrar at Exeter to search for a birth record for you.

Sorry to ramble on :)

Sue

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 October 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
Forgive me if I am slightly off-topic here, but SusanMary suggests the possibility that William, "as an illegitimate child, may have been born in the workhouse".
   I've come across a situation where an illegitimate child may indeed have been born in an institution - but the certificate lists the mother as living at a house elsewhere. Would it be normal in those circumstances for the mother to go into the institution (less than a mile away) simply to have the child, rather than having it at home like most of that period?
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susanmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 October 06 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was probably wandering off-topic too! I mentioned the workhouse because often unmarried mothers had nowhere else to go to have their babies if they were poor. Sometimes the registrar made it less obvious that the child was born in the workhouse by writing the address as if it were a private house, eg 10 East Street.

Is it possible that your mother who was living in a house, not the workhouse, was in a home for unmarried mothers? You did not say what the year date was, so I don't know if this is likely.

Sue

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 October 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Sue, but I believe it was an ordinary house, in which the baby was duly brought up. The father and the mother registered the child together, so there didn't seem to be any great attempt to hide the relationship. This happened in the 1930s.
   I think it may have been the case that the institution in question contained a hospital that took in patients from the surrounding community as well as treating the residents. That's the line I'm trying to investigate, anyway.
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk