Author Topic: New Working Conditions  (Read 712 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Working Conditions
« on: Sunday 17 September 06 06:15 BST (UK) »

Hi all
I found this on one of the mailing lists i subscribe to....couldnt imagine it be successful these days !

THE GOOD OLD DAYS

During the demolition of an old building in Lichfield, England, a document was discovered dated 1852, in which were set out working conditions and rules to be observed by the clerical staff, who had just benefited from the new Labour Laws.

1.. Godliness, cleanliness and punctuality are the necessities of good business.

2.. The firm has reduced hours of work and clerical staff will now only have to be present between the hours of 7am and 6pm on week days.

3.. Daily prayers will be held each morning in the main office; the clerical staff will be present.

4.. Clothing must be worn of sober nature.  The clerical staff will not disport themselves in raiment of bright colours, nor will they wear hose, unless in good repair.

5.. Overshoes and top coats may be worn in the office. Scarves and headgear may be worn in inclement weather.

6.. A stove is provided for the benefit of the clerical staff; coal and wood must be kept in the locker.  It is recommended that each member of the clerical staff brings four pounds of coal each day during cold weather.

7.. No members of the staff may leave the room without permission from Mr Rogers.  The calls of nature are permitted without permission and the clerical staff may use the garden below the second gate. This area must be kept in good order.

8.. No talking is allowed during business hours.

9.. The craving for tobacco, wines or spirits is a human weakness and is forbidden to all members of the clerical staff.

10.. Now that the hours have been drastically reduced the partaking of food is allowed between 11.30am and noon, but work on no account ceases.

11.. Members of the clerical staff will provide their own pens.  A new sharpener is available on application to Mr Rogers

12.. Mr Rogers will nominate a senior clerk to be responsible for the cleanliness of the main office and private office.  All boys and juniors will report to him 40 minutes before prayers and will remain after closing hours for similar work.  Brushes, brooms, scrubbing brushes and soap are provided by the management.

13.. The new increased weekly wages are; junior boys to 11 years 1/4d; boys to 14 years 2/4d; juniors 4/8d; clerks 10/9d; senior clerks after 15 years service with the owner 21/-.  The owners recognise the generosity of the new labour laws but will expect a great rise in output to compensate for these near utopian conditions.

Craizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Working Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 06 06:38 BST (UK) »
What a fantastic find ::)
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 September 06 15:14 BST (UK) »
Give us another ten years of trying to compete with the far east, and you will find the same conditions hanging up in most places of work, ( they proberbly exist in some of the sweat shops over here now ) ??? ??? ???

Great find though :)

Pete :),
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 06 15:17 BST (UK) »
I think one of my managers must have had a hand in writing some of those particularly no 2, 8 and 10.  She would have us chained to the desk 24 hours a day if she could!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
That's a real kind of Scrooge/Bob Cratchit set of rules! Brilliant!

Thinking of real life examples Kerry - a friend of mine worked for a certain telesales company in the Merseyside area. She badly scalded her hand on the way back to her desk after lunch and wasn't allowed to leave to run it under the water. They made her sit for 3 hours, dabbing at the scald with a piece of tissue and a cup of cold water. She's still got a scar now. Makes me so mad!
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 September 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
Good grief she ought to sue!!!

Thankfully working for a local authority means that health and safety and first aid are hot news so your friend, if she worked with me, would probably have been rushed to casualty!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....