Author Topic: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search - Part 1  (Read 260917 times)

Offline tom-shell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 06 June 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi fifi_fandango.  What was the inscription on the KERR gravestone?

Offline goldnplomp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Island of Vancouver and its Dependancies
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 06 June 09 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

Wow, I can’t believe that this string has been active since 2006…

Lodger:
I am attempting to find burial information for George Gold b.1814 d. 22 Aug 1858 and his wife Mary Halliday b.1815 d. bet 1853 and 1856.

According to George Gold’s death record he was buried in the Camnethan New Churchyard; however, I have yet to locate any monumental inscriptions for George.  While I have found monumental inscriptions in the Old Churchyard for George’s parents Andrew Gold b.1790 d.1857 and Rebecca Kilpatrick b.1790 d.1867 as well as his brother Andrew Gold b.1812 d.1844 and his wife and children, George and his family remains elusive.

Can you look to see if you can find any record of George Gold and his wife Mary Halliday?   Also, could you also look up Mary’s parents, Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman b.1791 d. 14 May 1862? Any other Gold connections you can find would also very appreciated.

Thank you for your time and kind consideration.

Arthur
Gold, Weir, Halliday, Douglas, Blackley, Kilpatrick, French, Dempster, Prentice, Penman, Dempsey, McHale, Lindsay, Brown, Morton, Muir, Allan, Russell

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 28 June 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur,
So sorry for the long delay in answering your query.
This is what I found in the Cambusnethan burial records, please remember that some years are missing.

First of all, the old churchyard has a lair book (plots) with owners, and internments that only begin in the 3rd part of the 19th century, there may very well have been internments in some or most of these plots before then, but no written record, if any did exist, has survived.

A "Day Book" of burials exists from about 1861, it has parents names when known, the old churchyard book only has deceased persons name, age and date of internment.

So, there is a plot in the old churchyard owned by Thomas Halliday. There are 4 internments, as follow -
Archibald Halliday, aged 61 years, 15th May 1907.
Marion S Halliday, aged 55 years, 26th Oct 1905.
Thomas Halliday, aged 61 years, 21st Feb 1879.
Un-named Halliday, no age, 28th May 1886.

Luckily, there is a Day Book entry for the above Thomas Halliday, - aged 61 years, miner, abode Waterloo, married.
Parents - Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman. Interred in old churchyard 21st Feb 1879.
Two other children of Archibald and Marion may also be in this family plot -
Robert Halliday, aged 46 years, miner, abode Waterloo, married, parents Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman. Interred old churchyard 3rd July 1870.
John Halliday, aged 48 years, engine cleaner, pauper, abode Newmains, married. Parents Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman. Interred old churchyard 29th May 1877.

Beside the old churchyard there is a walled private burial ground dating from about 1860. Plots 3, 4 and 5 were owned by the Scott family. Interred in plot 4 are the following -
Marion H Scott, aged 87 years, abode Hamilton. Widow.
Parents - Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman. 11th Sept 1901.
James Scott, aged 23 years, cashier, abode Cambusnethan, single. Parents - Thomas Scott and Marion Halliday.  19th Feb 1862.
Mary Scott, aged 12 years, abode Cambusnethan.
Parents Thomas Scott and Marion Halliday. 22nd March 1862.
Elizabeth Scott, aged 68 years, abode Hartwood Asylum, single. Parents Thomas Scott and Marion Halliday. 19th July 1910.

Entries in the Day Book -
Violet Brownlie, housewife, aged 73 years, abode Hartwood Asylum, married. Parents Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman.  Interred section B plot 11 new cemetery 10th May 1907.
Isabella Halliday or Robb, housewife, aged 42 years, abode Newmains, married. Parents Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman. Interred old churchyard 17th June 1862.
Archibald Robb, check weighman, aged 45 years, abode Morningside, married. Parents James Robb and Isabella Halliday.  Interred section D plot 341 28th Dec 1891.
Andrew Robb, coal miner, aged 57 years, abode Crindledyke, married. Parents James Robb and Isabella Halliday. Interred section E plot 2429, owned by James Robb, coal miner, Brown's Land, Crindledyke, 1st March 1915.

There is another family plot in the old churchyard, owned by Archibald Halliday. Only one internment recorded -
Ann Halliday aged 59 years, 9th Dec 1888.

This could well be the Ann Russell mentioned on the MI number 421/1. Makes sense to me!

As for the Gold family, not much luck really.
I found an entry in the Day book for  Bella M M Gold,aged 8 years, Carluke. Parents Andrew Gold and Catherine M Oman, interred old churchyard 17th Jan 1878.
Also George James Gold, aged 3 years and 9 months, Braidwood, same parents. 13th Feb 1875.
these tie up with the MI entry 363.

Some entries from the Day Book -
Rebecca gold, aged 77 years, Cambusnethan, widowed, Father - George Kilpatrick. (No mother's name). Interred old churchyard 25th July 1867.

George gold, aged 2 years, Wishaw. Parents Robert Gold and Margaret Allan. Old churchyard 29th March 1876.

George Gold
, aged 19 months, Waterloo. Parents Thomas gold and Agnes Blackley. Old churchyard 14th Sept 1877.

That's all I have.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline goldnplomp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Island of Vancouver and its Dependancies
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 01:42 BST (UK) »
Lodger,

Thank you!  Your time and effort is very much appreciated and while George GOLD, Mary HALLIDAY and Archibald HALLIDAY (husband to Marion PENMEN) will remain elusive (for now) you did provide me with some Gems… no pun intended  ;)  To start off I had no record of John HALLIDAY b.~1826 d.1874 or Violet HALLIDAY b.~1835 d.1907... Thank you for this!  Also, because of the information you provided I was able to find a number of death records via ScotlandsPeople which in turn allowed me to locate some marriage records which I previously did not have.  This information, cross referenced with the baptismal records for the Wishaw Relief Church 1831-1864 (NAS ref# CH3/1219/6), has filled in a number of gaps for the HALLIDAY extended family.

As for the GOLD family, I did have death records for the listed individuals; however I did not have internment dates… Thank you for this!

In closing, I would like to say a sincere thank you for your time and kind consideration.

Arthur
Gold, Weir, Halliday, Douglas, Blackley, Kilpatrick, French, Dempster, Prentice, Penman, Dempsey, McHale, Lindsay, Brown, Morton, Muir, Allan, Russell

Offline barkie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger,

I wonder if you could have a look in the records for the following.

Francis Barclay b.1841 d. 10/11/1917
Elizabeth Barclay nee Johnston or Johnstone b.1845 d.31/10/1925
James Barclay b.1812 d. 06/12/1876

Many thanks.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 10:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no luck with these names. The Day Book begins in 1876 and only has 3 entries for that year. The later Day Book ends at January 1917, so too early for Francis and Elizabeth. Barclay isn't too common a name in Cambusnethan parish, so if you have any more that I can match with another (maiden) surname I'll have a look. Was James married for instance?

Lodger
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Alfy Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • what an amazing site
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 24 July 09 04:15 BST (UK) »
New to th so i will tell you what i know
James Campbell and Margaret Greer
Cant remember Lair but i think its Section E
i know My Granada died in 26/11/87

was wondering if his parents were buried there?

Any info at all would be very helpful

I moved to N.Ireland not long after papa died

an don't wanna lose my Scottish history

46 Breadiel Cres Newmains rings a bell as his address at death

Would love to get as much as possible hope you can help

Thanks
Campbell, Greer, Hamilton, Brown, Arnott, Gardner, Smith, Stewart

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 24 July 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alfy, welcome to Rootschat.  I think the date of death may be 1987? If so, then I can't help you, sorry. The records I have end at 1917.
Good luck with your research.

Lodger.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline barkie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 24 July 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no luck with these names. The Day Book begins in 1876 and only has 3 entries for that year. The later Day Book ends at January 1917, so too early for Francis and Elizabeth. Barclay isn't too common a name in Cambusnethan parish, so if you have any more that I can match with another (maiden) surname I'll have a look. Was James married for instance?

Lodger

Thanks Lodger James was married but his wife died in Airdrie and was buried at Wellwynd in 1856.

The family then moved to Greenhill outside Cleland and then spread out a bit Salsburgh, Newains, Cleland etc.

Maybe these will show up in your records

Hugh Barclay b. 13/10/1873 d. 28/12/1887
James Barclay b.1838 d. 19/04/1904
Andrew Barclay b.1849 d. 08/02/1915

Thanks again.