Author Topic: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search - Part 1  (Read 260890 times)

Offline MoragC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 13 August 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger,

Used to take that route often in the past to go to Wishaw but tend to come down from the M8 these days - I knew Airbles sounded familiar!

I'm quite happy to go myself, as Robyn also wants photos of a couple of addresses where Catherine Donald lived.

Thanks again - and Bonnes Vacances for the remaining time in France. I was over myself in June in the Tarn Region . France has so many lovely, unexplored corners!

MoragC

Offline Ghobhainn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 28 August 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sage,
              I don't know a great deal about these MacNeils, except for the connection to my Smith family Wishaw Canbusnethan via George Smith marriage to Margaret Macneil, daughter as I understand of Duncan MacNeil & Lavina Dewar, think thats correct. Just a little input.
Tyzack/Tyzick: Sheffield Yorkshire ENG,
Wishaw Lanarkshire SCOT;
Smith: Clifton Conisbrough Yorkshire ENG,
Cromarty shire & Cadder Lanark SCOT.
Firth: Doncaster & Rotherham Yorkshire ENG;
Morrison: Rutherglen & Cadder Lanark SCOT;
McGuire: Shotts West Lothian SCOT;
Mark(s): Tyrone & Antrim IRE &
Balfron Stirling, Paisley Renfrew SCOT.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 29 August 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ghobhainn,

Nice of you to take an interest in the McNeil clan.  My interest comes about because I have been entrusted with a McNeil family register which was passed down through my husband's family members.  It risked being tossed out so as an avid researcher and keeper of family treasures, I undertook to be the protector of the McNeil family bible.  This family register was presented to Malcolm McNeil and Janet Gibson upon their marriage in Carluke in 1878 and the births, marriages and deaths of their offspring have been diligently recorded by family members over the years.  It's quite the worse for wear but I have scanned it as a pdf file and stored the original carefully but anyone who takes an interest is more than welcome to have a copy.  Malcolm McNeil was Duncan's younger brother.

I hope that some of the information that Lodger traced on my behalf was helpful to you as well.

Cheers for now,

Heather.

Offline Thomas Allan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 03 September 09 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks
We are looking for my other halfs family
We've got some of the in Cambusnethan in the 1851 census particularly her gg granny ( i think) Agnes Leggat age 11  at 222 i think its Mill Wishaw but the whole family seems to dissapear by 1861. by then shemust have been married to Archibald Johnston because her g grandad william was born circa 1862. the thingis the Johnston appear to have gone to Ireland because we've got a copy of an Irish b cert forher granny in Ballyclare 10/09/1897 when she came back over in 1913.
anybody got any ideas where the Leggat's went to and why the Johnston's would have gone to Ireland
Thanks
Tommy

Offline caroclay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 03 September 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
hi tommy
you would be better starting a new thread for this in the lanarkshire board

is this the family in 1841

William Leggate 40 
Christian Leggate 30 
John Leggate 9 
Jean Leggate 6 
Janet Leggate 4 
Agnes Leggate 2 

then in 1851

william leggat born cambusnethan 1796
christian leggat born shettleston 1807
john leggat born cambusnethan 1833
janet leggat born "                      1837
agnes leggat born  "                    1840
jane leggat born "                        1850

address as mid wishaw

same family in 1861 but with no william

christina leggat  aged 52
agnes leggat  age 21
jean leggat age 12
william johnstone aged 1 grandson of christina
robert fallarder  boarder

address as 43 main street wishaw
CLAYTON (LANARKSHIRE (craignuek)& ENGLAND)
DEVLIN (LANARKSHIRE(newmain & craignuek) & IRELAND)
McANAW (craignuek, muirkirk LANARKSHIRE)
McALEER (LANARKSHIRE & IRELAND)
MARSHALL (DUMFRIES)
KEENAN (IRELAND)
MCGINNIS
HUGHES
PROUDFOOT
DUNBAR
McGEECHAN (craignuek & carfin)
KILTIE
TROTTER
KEEGAN
ADAMS

Offline Thomas Allan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:16 BST (UK) »
thanks Carolyn
sorry I thought i had started a new thread
i dont know why my 1861 census search didnt work but you've got it all for me
it looks like Archie Johnston and agnes leggat wern't married from what the 1861 census says it shows Agnes and it appears her son William both living with her mum
thanks
Tommy

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 03 September 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Kilsyth. The information that I gave you is on a compact disc, of all the burials in cambusnethan Graveyard from the 1600s,up to 1993, with some gaps, but unfortunately it is not for sale, if you have any other queries, I will be most happy to have a search, and if you can give me the parents names, that will be a big help.
We also have surveyed Airbles, The Globe, South Dalziel and St. Patrick's Dalzell Estate graveyards in Motherwell, if you have anybody in them.
Yours Ron.

Ron do you have any Meehans or Meechans in St Patricks around the 1930's?

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 04 September 09 05:26 BST (UK) »
This if for my mate, Lodger the Legend, whom last we knew, was tripping around France!  Hope you're well rested, Lodger.

I wondered if I might seek some help with 2 Mellis/Melles sisters who were born in Gargunnock, Stirlingshire but who died in Wishaw.  The first is Mary Taylor nee Mellis (married to David) who died 14 Feb 1906 aged 79.

The second is Margaret Torrance nee Mellis (married to James) who died 06 Sep 1924 aged 88. 

Another sister, Jane Russell nee Mellis is buried at Cambusnethan also but I have a photo of that headstone so am okay with this one.

Hoping you can help with any info relevant to the above,

Cheers,

Heather.

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Lynch Ferrigan & Isabella Craig
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 17 September 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger

Hope you can solve this mystery for me.

Last year you gave me some info about a George  C. Ferguson aged 15months, Newmains. Parents William Ferguson and Jeanie Craig, interred 25th Sept 1913 in Section  E plot 1414. You said that the child George is in the same plot as someone with the surname Salvesen whose married name was Torgesen.

Now Ivè just downloaded a marriage fron SP for a Jane Neil Craig and a William Charles Toryusen. I believe these are the same parents as listed for George C Ferguson. Has Toryusen changed his name to Ferguson? Both Toryusen and Salveson are Norwegian names.

You also told me that William Craig was interred June 28 1916 in plot 2136 section E. Plot owner was William Ferguson. This William Craig was the father of Jane Neil Craig who married William Charles Toryusen.

Would it be possible to give me any more information about these people. And how would a person go about changing his name in those days. Would it just be a case of starting to use a new name?

Hope you can help me with this.

Regards

Mary