Author Topic: Birth in Exeter  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Exeter
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 November 06 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm surprised the person at the fair made that statement about it being Exeter because thats what it said on the census! My ancestors have claimed on census's to have come from various parts of the country and various towns and villages, even as far afield as Ireland too and I have since discovered on obtaining the relevant certificates that this hasn't been the case at all. Go with your intuition at first  :) . It can be an expensive business especially when you order certifictaes and you find these people are NOT related to you in any shape or form ( I know I am in receipt of a cert, this very morning which bears no relevance to my family whatsoever! LOL)

Good Luck
Debbie

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 06 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debbie. I'm sure all will be pleased to know that with the help of Rootschatters I did manage to get the birth certificate. He was born in the St Thomas workhouse. I must say, the Devon records office weren't very efficient either! I had sent a s.a.e. with my cheque and I eventually had my cheque returned in an envelope bearing a second class stamp, they wanted my cheque card details. If they'd sent it back in my first class stamped envelope I would have got it back a darn sight quicker! Never mind, I got the information I wanted in the end. Thanks all  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 December 06 13:30 GMT (UK) »

Topsham was south of the River Exe, while Exeter is north of the river. I think Topsham is in St Thomas registration district, not in Exeter.

You'd be surprised how many people named the closest large town as their birthplace instead of the actual village or parish.
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland