Author Topic: My Essex surname interests.  (Read 7832 times)

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: My Essex surname interests.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 07 18:51 GMT (UK) »
ello Monkey...

My Snelling family come from Dunton in Essex. Nathaniel/Daniel.
My g granny was Gertrude Snelling. She had been married to Charles Brown, but he unfortunately died when he was 21.
They'd  had two children.

She went on to marry William George Sutton in 1903 at West Ham.

They then lived in "little Ilford Lane" (Manor Park).

So If this rings any of your bells monkey... let me know.

Regards,
Fred.
Heins, Fedde, Davis, Amor, Sharp, Sutton, Snelling.
West Ham, Middlesex, London, Romford, Ilford, Manor park.

Offline monkey0378

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 07 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Gertrude Snelling was the sister of my great, great grandfather David James Snelling, listed on the census as James Snelling.  I had noticed on the census that Gertrude was listed as Snelling in 1891, then in 1901 as Brown, so I looked up her wedding and found the Charles Brown connection. I didn't know about the Sutton marriage though.
Gertrudes brother David Snelling, i'm not sure if he was known as James, he was born David James Snelling, but everywhere I have found he is listed as James. There was another brother I know of, Peter, but I have no information on him yet.
David lived in Grantham Road which is right next to Little Ilford Lane. He had 5 children who all continued to live in the same area, but eventually moved away during and after the war.

So looks like there is a connection. If there is anything else you would like to know, Please get in touch. I do have some more information on Gertrudes parents if you are missing this. Anything else you know I would be interested to hear from you.

Thanks, Regards
Monkey (Em)
Snelling, Mead, Gilder, Gibson, Quinan, Steward, Hume, Mabbatt, Rogers.
Ilford, West/East Ham, Essex, Yorkshire, Bournemouth, London, South Shields, Sunderland, Durham, Scotland.

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 07 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello  monkey.    :)

Looks like we are connected...

Yes, this is the family.
My mum was Gertrude Sharp b.1923, born in Grantham Road, oldest daughter of Stanley Sharp and Gertrude Sutton b. 1904.
Gertrude Sutton was the oldest daughter of the marriage between William Sutton and Gertrude Brown (nee Snelling) b. 1883.

I have got back to about 1760 with the John and Susan Snelling family, they came from East Hornden/Dunton area of Essex, but I suppose you have all this.

It seems quite sad that her marriage to Charles Brown didn't last too long. He died of "Typhoid fever for 22 days then heart failure". His age was 21 years and they were living in Ley Street, Ilford at the time. They also had two young children, Edith and Charles.

Hope you find this of interest...
Speak to you later.

Regards,
Fred.

PS. Monkey isn't your real name, is it..........      :-\ :o   

Offline monkey0378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 March 07 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,

No my real name is Emma, not Monkey. I don't have all the information going back to 1760. I have only got as far as Gertrude and Davids mother and father at the moment. I am currently waiting on a copy of the marriage certificate, which will lead me to James's parents.
If you have any information that would be great, and again if you are missing anything, let me know and I will see if I can help.
Shows what a small world it is of this family tree research, that we can trace back that far and make a connection.
Do you know what number Grantham road Gertrude Sharp was born? The Snellings seem to have connections to numbers 34 and 28, this I have from Birth and Marriage certificates.

Regards

Emma
Ilford, West/East Ham, Essex, Yorkshire, Bournemouth, London, South Shields, Sunderland, Durham, Scotland.

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 07 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma,

I was only joking, I didn't really think your name was monkey...  no seriously I didn't.  ha ha.

My mum, (Jeanie) real name Gertrude, was born at 44 Grantham Road, (as per her birth cert) and I was born at No. 6 Eighth Avenue, Manor Park.

My mum married Freddy Hines the boxer, from Canning Town.

I'm not saying every thing I have is 100% correct, but if you want me to let you have all the info I have on the Snelling family, I will.

When I was a lad back in the late 50s I remember going to see my granny Sutton (Snelling), a white haired lady wearing a wrap-around-pinny, she lived in Little Ilford Lane at the time.

Regards,
Fred

Offline monkey0378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 March 07 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,

If you could send me all the info you have on the snellings that would be great, It would give me a great start.
None of my family realy remember much about visiting their relatives in Manor Park.
Do you still live in that area? I have spoken to my aunty about taking a trip there to see what it is like now, and if there are any church records that may still exist for our family there.

Regards

Emma

Offline lh2301

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi F.H.

I know an Alf Heins from the West Ham area, who was a professional boxer and appeared in a couple of films under the name Alf Hines.  I believe this maybe your Dads cousin?  Does that seem correct?

Sorry this is my first posting on this site.

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 August 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi ya lh2301.

Yes, Alf is my dads cousin, my second cousin. My dad too was a boxer, a bit older than Alf. It was Alf's father who got my dad interested in boxing at the age of 7 when they lived in Canning Town.

Do you know the whereabouts of Alf now?. I would like to get in touch with him again.

I have enclosed a photo of my father.

Regards,
Fred Hines

Offline lh2301

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 August 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

Thanks for the photo, I will certainly print it off and show it to Alf when I next see him.

Alf's boxing records can be found at the link below if you are interested.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=191759&cat=boxer

Also, I attach a picture taken from the video cover of one of the films he appeared in (the Square Ring)
- Alf is the one on the left!

Regards Lisa