Author Topic: 1881 Scottish Census request: The Hessies  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1881 Scottish Census request: The Hessies
« on: Tuesday 17 February 04 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Patricia,

I posted this under 1891/1901 scottish census requests, but, on the offchance that the family moved to Scotland even earlier than I thought, could you try the 1881 census for me please:

"I am looking for a Stevenson/Stephenson family. The mother is called Hessie, the children are called Hessie, John and  Emily. The daughter Hessie was born in Silverdale, near Morecambe (reg. district Lancaster), and Emily was born around 1880 in Glasgow.

The name Hessie is a family tradition, but they sometimes called themselves Hettie !

I've checked the english 1881 census and "Chris from 1066land" (Thanks again, Chris) looked up Hessie and Hettie in the 1891 english census and found nothing, so I think they must have moved to Scotland sometime before 1881.  Now I am hoping, that somebody can find them in the scottish census.  

New thought: I know the mother, Hessie Stevenson,  remarried and became Hessie Coleman.  She had two children, Ann(e) and Warren Coleman. I don't know when this was, but if the youngest Stevenson, Emily, was born sometime around 1880, then by 1891, Hessie could have been a Coleman already."

Thanks very much,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Patricia Irving

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:1881 Scottish Census request: The Hessies
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 04 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

I've checked through the 1881 Census and can find no trace of the Stevenson/Stephenson family with a Hessie or Hettie.  I checked Jessies as well just in case.  If you like I will check (hopefully next week when the kids are back to school) for the marriage of Hessie Stevenson to Mr Coleman.  Am I right to assume that this took place in Scotland.  Any info on that would be helpful.

Regards

Patricia
Family names:
Scotland: Douglas, Bell, Smith, Young, Blyth
Ireland: Perry, Seaton, Gillon, Whisker

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 04 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

Many thanks for checking up the census for my family.  I am also in a  forum at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/phpBB/index.php and someone there found some details in the 1901 scottish census for me.  

I now have the following geographical / time line:

When     Where    What
        ?            ?           Birth of Mr. Stevenson
      1857?   Ireland    Birth of Warren Coleman
      1861     Ireland    Birth of Hessie N.N.
        ?            ?           Marriage of Hessie N.N. and Mr. Stevenson
      1880     Lancs.     Birth of Hessie Stevenson
        ?                        Moved to Govan, Glasgow
      1885     Govan     Birth of Emily Stevenson
      1887+? Govan     Birth of John Stevenson (Census says "Scholar", i.e under 14)
         ?           ?           Death of Mr Stevenson
         ?           ?           Marriage of Hessie N.N. to Warren Coleman
      1895     Govan     Birth of Annie Coleman
      1897     Govan     Birth of William John Coleman

The census actually said the Stevenson children were all born in Ireland, but Oral History is very definite about Lancashire and Govan for Hessie and Emily so I am staying with Oral History here.

I don't know where (or when) Hessie maried Warren Coleman, but Govan seems a good bet, maybe around 1894 ?? I hope this helps, but I wish I could found out more about the elusive Mr. Stevenson. I know only that he was a well-sinker and moved around a lot, with family, to wherever he had to sink his next well !

Good Hunting, and thanks again !,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Patricia Irving

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 04 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

I'm sorry not to have replied but I keep thinking I'll get notification of a posting or a reply but it doesn't happen.

I also found the 1901 Census entry for you but you appear to have it already.

The birth of William John Coleman may help:

BIRTH
WILLIAM JOHN COLEMAN
28 July 1897, 30 Great Eastern Road, Glasgow
REF: 644/2/1221
Son of Warren Coleman, Engineer's Machine Worker and Hessie Coleman, previously Stevenson MS Baxter.
Married 1886 May 18, Belfast.
Informant: Warren Coleman, Father.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Patricia

Family names:
Scotland: Douglas, Bell, Smith, Young, Blyth
Ireland: Perry, Seaton, Gillon, Whisker

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 04 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Patricia,

Many thanks for this information. And, Yes !, it does help, because

1) it definitely confirms that the "Stensons" in the 1901 census are "my" Stevensons,
2) it give the date of marriage of Warren Coleman and Hessie, which, by implication, narrows down the range when John Stevenson must have died, and
3) the BIGGIE:  Oral History has only ever said "the Hessies came over from Ireland sometime".  The 1901 Census then confirmed this and supplied the Hessie-Generation, which came over from Ireland, and now for the first time we have a place-name, Belfast, in Ireland !

This means that I now at least have a starting point for further searching in Ireland.

So thanks again, because this really is a big help !

Regards, Bob