Author Topic: the best way to trace hawkers/travellers  (Read 13533 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the best way to trace hawkers/travellers
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I cant tell for sure which bride Ernest Gale married in 1905, I just posted that info because of the previous post stating mothers maiden name as Moss, 50-50 chance without sending away for the actual certificate, probably the best bet is to get the birth cert. Rambler found to confirm fathers name, occupation etc....... its a pity all the relevant certs were destroyed by another relative, looks like you'll be needing to fork out for at least some of them again to get any further.....or wait until the 1911 census is released  ::)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline ros

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 13:43 BST (UK) »
thanks catone
 i think i may apply for the certificate of william john as at least i am fairly certian of the dates for him
when does the 1911 come out ?
thanks again for all your help
names researching: Riley:Greenhalgh  Pike: Donaldson:of Lancashire
Davies/ Ford-Horne of Wales
clark(e) somerset
HEATH/GALE hereford and somerset

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
If the family moved to Hereford when the children were very young, they may just have presumed that's where they were born!  (And my own father told me his grandfather was born in Carrickfergus - turned out it was his grandmother.... ::))

If funds allow, I would recommend buying William John Gale's birth cert, as it's the only one which seems to fit definite known facts at the moment.  It's possible to state that you only want the certificate if the father's name is Ernest - it may be worth telephoning the Taunton office before you order.  All being well, we will then have a definite first name for the mother, and can work from there.  (And if it's Lily, we'll all be happy!)

Rambler

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
manchester rambler
i will ecstatic if it is moss this has been an ongoing project for over 3 years and im no nearer now than i was in the begining ha ha
thanks again for all your help will follow it up
clark(e) somerset

Offline ros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 September 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
hi manchester rambler i know its been a while since my last post
just to let you know i did get the birth cert for william john gale and the mothers name is moss do you wered right
thanks again
i just have to try and finf edward walter my grandfather now
any suggestions / mother still says he was born hereford but she said that about william and that was wrong
is there anywhere i could look for a birth using the mother maiden name of "moss"?
edward walter born 1906
died 26/12/1936 in bath somerset
clark(e) somerset

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 September 06 19:14 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the GRO birth index doesn't show mother's maiden name until 1911 (although some of the local online BMD indexes like Bath BMD are starting to include it for all dates).

You could check out the birth reg for Ernest Walter E GALE which Catone found - say you only want the cert if the parents are the same as for William John.  (Presumably Ernest Gale and Lily Moss?)  We haven't found anything else which looks possible so far...  ???

Then the next step is to get the marriage cert for Ernest and Lily, which will give their ages and their fathers' names/occupations - with that info we can start looking for them on censuses!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline ros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 September 06 11:13 BST (UK) »
thanks manchester rambler
i have had another look at the cert and it has got me even more confused (not difficult ???)
father of william john gale listed as ernest gale hawker correct mother listed as alice gale formaly moss
when ive gone over previous postings the marriage of ernest gle was to a lilly moss ? have i got the worng person as in the 1901 census ernest's father was married to a alice
and according to my information ernest was married to an elizabeth someone ?
clark(e) somerset

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 September 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's a problem - Catone found a possible Gale-Moss marriage, but if Miss Moss' first name was Alice, we now know it can't be the right one, so we'll have to look again.

Maybe this is a good moment to summarise what we know for sure:

Edward Walter GALE (your grandfather) b. c1906 - family says Hereford.
Elizabeth Susan GALE (EW's sister) b. c1910.
William John GALE (EW's brother) b. 26 Apr 1912, Taunton district; d. 1912. 

Their parents: Ernest GALE (hawker) and Alice MOSS.

Ernest might be the 14 yr-old b. Cheltenham, son of Walter and Alice, on the 1901 census.  If so, he must have married young, but the family are hawkers, which fits.  (We really need Ernest and Alice's marriage cert to confirm this.)

You have been told the family name was changed from HEATH to GALE c1890.

I'll have another look at GALE births/marriages this evening when I have a little more time....  ::)

Rambler   8)

Offline ros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 September 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
details correct as far as i know its just the confusing ernest marriage , ive been told was an elizabeth ( this is not definate 0

and the quiery on the birth places of edward walter b 1906 and william john 1912 and elizabeth susan b c 1910 , mother still says she was told they were born hereford ?
thanks manchester rambler for your help
ros
clark(e) somerset