Author Topic: SIM(M)ONS - Sarratt  (Read 3040 times)

Offline miss piggy

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SIM(M)ONS - Sarratt
« on: Monday 18 September 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
i am trying to find my husdands side of the family from 1901 onwards they were from sarratt herts  the spelling is diffrent for simons on cencus papers its spelt simmons  but only ones in that area and my husbands father was born in sarratt his father was a farmer only know his wifes name alice simons they had  8 children  i have found four of the children dennis born 1912 percivel 1914 kenneth 1915 leslie charles 1916 all reg watford but no luck with others would be greatfull if any one can help me find  any thing about them thanks christine simons  :)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: SIM(M)ONS - Sarratt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 06 15:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome Miss Piggy!

Are you only interested in the family post 1901 or do you need help in locating their ancestry?

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 15:35 BST (UK) »
 i am looking for any thing to do with simmons simons from around sarratt its for my husdands family they all come from herts so any thing u can help me with will be greatly welcome thank you very much  its really great to have this site and all the helpers it makes looking for anc s just than more easyer i have been  told they could have moved to hunton bridge  then on to deanfield bovingdon  my mother in law lived there till 2000

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Miss Piggy

I cannot see any SIM(M)ONS in Sarratt in 1901, but I did find this family in 1891.

RG12/1121 F157 P1
Green End Farm
Sarratt
Herts

SIMMONS

Herbert, Head, Married, 31, Engine Driver, Traction Engine, b Sarratt
Lydia, Wife, 35, b Chesham, Bucks
Herbert, Son, 7, Scholar, b Sarratt
Ernest, Son, 5, Scholar, b Sarratt
George, Son, 1, b Sarratt

It might be a good idea to order some marriage/birth certificates for the family that you already have to see how this family may be connected.

You can search the complete GRO indexes free of charge at Ancestry.co.uk.  You will need to search the images year by year and you can then order online.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
 ;Dthank you very much have been looking on ancy and found some that look likely  there are a lot from chorlywood which my husdand says rings a bell so going to ask sister in law to go in to watford to get bmds if possable  thank you so much chris

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 September 06 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine.

As Rick says above the complete indexes are available to be searched at the link shown, for free. You have to register with your name and email address. It is very easy but can be a bit of a problem if you do not have broadband or if you are not that confident about using a computer.

I had to check some names for my own purposes in the "S" ranges and so I also had a quick look for some Simons births that might be relevant to your question.

These are the births that I spotted that were registered in Watford between 1912 and 1932 where the mother's maiden name was also Simons.

1914 AMJ quarter Percy W.R. 3a 1781
1916 AMJ quarter Leslie C.F. 3a 1685
1917 OND quarter Dennis J.G. 3a 1131
1923 JFM quarter Betty M.V. 3a 1469
1926 OND quarter John C.A. 3a 1259
1928 AMJ quarter Kenneth G.B. 3a 1397
1932 JFM quarter Beryl C.A. 3a 1437

I did not see Dennis in 1912 nor Kenneth in 1915 but I did find a Dennis and a Kenneth later and I found the other two that you mentioned.

I think it is interesting that they all have three names which might add some weight to the possibility of them all being from the same family. You will need to check them out to be sure and also check if there are any more but I hope that the list may be of some use to you.

DS

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 September 06 18:45 BST (UK) »

Hi again Christine.

I forgot to say before that I first of all checked for a suitable marriage and I found this (to use as a starting point)

1912 Watford OND quarter 3a 1631

Alice Simons
William Simons

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 06 20:07 BST (UK) »
thank you so very much LCF SIMONS is my husdands dad and the others are his brothers and sister  alice and william are grandad granmar  i have also been on anceatry co uk and found more in sarratt i can not thank you enough i am now going to print off what i have so the rest of the family can so how for ive got thanks too u christine

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 14:45 BST (UK) »
 hi all in herts thanks to you i have  found SIMONS family back to 1841 to 1901 but now need to find them from 1901 to 1912 when william SIMONS married alice SIMONS  i now know they  were butchers and owned a farm at WHEATHAMSTEAD after that they must have moved to SARRATT as my husdands father was born there  i need to find out when this was  can any one help   were can i get any info from as i live in lincs  and not able to go to local  libry  miss p