Author Topic: Scotlands Family Tree website  (Read 2944 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotlands Family Tree website
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Has anyone used the following website named Scotlands Family Tree. 

http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com

If so what are your thoughts and feelings? Thanks.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Cambusnethan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands Family Tree website
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 07:15 BST (UK) »
Not very impressed actually.  I registered and went onto it a few times - I'm more of a browser than a poster!  Then I started getting e-mails asking when I was going to post - one of which I found a bit spooky as it said "see you've been having a good look round".  I ignored it as I thought it was rather intrusive and just after that my account was inactivated.

Much prefer a board like this who let you settle in and post in your own time!

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 18:03 BST (UK) »
Cambusnethan -

Thanks for your reply.

Had similar experiences yesterday. I registered a couple of weeks ago to see what the site was like. I am now getting emails asking me about postings etc.
Found it unnerving to say the least.  Oh well live and learn

This site is much more laid back and I get on and off whenever time permits.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi yn9man and Cambusnethan,

I've just been having a look around that site as a guest.

Thanks for your comments here. I agree about the messages regarding you having a look round and asking about posts. If a person wants to register and be a browser that's their business. If you didn't sup your drink if you were on a night out in their company would they complain about that too?

Christopher

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Not impressed either to be honest, I registered and am still waiting for an email to activate my account.  Having read the comments above tho I'm not sure I am missing anything spectacular.......I find it a bit ironic that they bill themselves as "the friendly forum", I don't really like the feeling that I am being vetted to see if I am "worthy" of being a member.

I'll stick to Rootschat, now THIS is a friendly forum :D

Offline NellW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 May 08 20:36 BST (UK) »
I was very interested to see this thread as I've recently been having a good look around this site.  I have to say, I haven't had any e-mails pestering me, but I have seen requests made to posters to subscribe for a £10 fee before they can get any more help with their query.  Given the general level of expertise on display in the free part of the site, I don't think it's worth it unless they're hiding the “experts” in the subscription part of the site :)

Give me Rootschat anytime, well-informed, friendly advise, without the feeling that there's a hidden agenda.

Helen

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 May 08 21:15 BST (UK) »
I've registered so that I can post a few messages on the site as they have a board for Irish queries. I don't think I'll pay a subscription charge ... I feel that there are several excellent free sites which between them contain an adequate amount of information ... if you can't find something there are plenty of RootsChatters around to assist in the search.