Author Topic: The history of your house  (Read 3669 times)

Offline catherine1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The history of your house
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
Did anyone watch the new series The history of your house with Nick Barrett on the History Channel it was really interesting pity it was only on for a half hour though.

Kate

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: The history of your house
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 17:13 BST (UK) »
I forgot about that.  Whenis it on?  I used to like The House Detectives which I believe is probably similar.

Unfortunately my house is only 40 years old and we were the first family to live in it.  When I leave, if I am still alive, I may leave something about us, possibly in the loft.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
  • A smile can make some ones day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
My house was built over two hundred years ago and is comprised of three of five original cottages. Two cottages were demolished in the 1940s and the remaining three knocked into one.
During its life time it was on the site of a Bone Grinding Mill, where animal bones were ground up to put into animal food stuff and were used on local farm land. When we had the  stone slate roof replaced we found that the stone wall cavities were filled with broken bones. later it became a brick works and evidence of the old bricks can be found in the cellar windows and attic windows  which were bricked up and in some of the out buildings which are mostly stone. Finally it became a gannister works when a local firm quarried gannister which was used to line blast furnaces in the steel works.
On old maps it is still marked as brick works but the elderly locals still refer to it as 't' bone hole'. Some one once sent us a postcard from holiday addressed to Bone Hall - it found us even though it was a bone grinding mill in the early 1800's!!!
Pennine
Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 06 15:16 BST (UK) »
My house is fairly young really - built in 1939 on marshlands (but still standing and as sturdy as the day it was built). Built on an estate near the Airfield and Rowntrees Chocolate factory. On the chimney wall in the attic there are a couple of names - J Smith and another than I can't quite remember at the minute. No date or anything so it is probably residents since they were built upto 1984 when we moved in.

The B&B we have now is attached to a Victorian house complete with original windows. The first floor rooms are our office, bathroom, kitchen and TV lounge and the walls are horrendous to put anything up on. The inside walls are just lengths (very thin) of wood and very thin plaster so nails etc go straight through. The outside walls are made with boulders!

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline catherine1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
The programme is Tuesday on the history channel at 8.pm.My house is fairly new so i can't say much about mine just that it is built on an old factory site.funnily enough my hubbies mum and dad worked in the factory,thats were they met.

Kate

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 September 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
hi Kate - I haven't seen this programme but I really think the the 'history of your house' is almost as interesting as finding out your own FH.

My house is relatively new (well 23 years old, 'new' for me).  But we have some old documents relating to the field in which our house is built, which are fascinating.  Our field used to belong a family with the surname Gillatt and in the mid-1800s, the Gillatts bought or were bequeathed this land from an Edward Burkill.

The Burkills are a well-known family in our village, but it's even more tantalising because my son's girlfriend is also a Burkill - related to this local family, but has never lived here and met my son about 4 years ago quite by chance (they now live in London).

Clara  :)
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 September 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
I live in a millworkers cottage - middle one of a terrace of three, but the building was originally a warehouse, converted into cottages in late 1700s - possibly the first warehouse conversion????  It has also seen the road outside build up considerably over the years - so much that there are now steps down into the living room from outside the front door, the internal walls, which divide one property from another aren't keyed in to the external ones...and there is a tale of a young boy seen walking from no 7, into and through no 9 (my house) and ending up in no 11 ....
I've not seen him, but my front door does com eopen regularly while we're watching telly and nobody comes in - also quite often get up in th emmorning to find front door wide open (should lock it, i suppose! LOL) 
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 06 20:01 BST (UK) »
I live in a mid terrace of 5. It was built C1910 & believe the farm owner built the houses for his workers.
Roll on the 1911 census and I can find out exactly!!
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
It's not always a good thing to know the history of a house or its people.

One house I lived in in the 1960's for two years [the owner was in Australia and I was house sitting].
When he came back he told me about two suicides fifty years apart in the stairwell.

Great I thought.

Tom G
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.