Author Topic: The history of your house  (Read 3671 times)

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
Re: The history of your house
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 September 06 11:48 BST (UK) »
You've got a better head for heights than I have!!!
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 September 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
You've got a better head for heights than I have!!!

There was some scaffolding below me, which you can't see in that pic:-)

I love slate too Kerry, its a beautiful material. We went to N. Wales & brought our slates direct from the quarry.

Romilly. ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 September 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
I think the only reason that my flat had a slate roof was because it was just yards from the railway station so they must have been imported in.  They are not usually found in Sussex.  Did look right though on those houses.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 September 06 12:42 BST (UK) »
Our cottage in Cornwall was built around 1850 but sadly "modernised" in the early 70s, however we have moved the stairs back to the centre of the cottage (almost in their original place) . When we removed the plaster on the wall where the 1970s stairs had been and excavated we found the site of the original fireplace and the clome oven where the baking would have taken place. I was so excited it was a bit like Time Team. The oven has the makers name on it and I have researched the company.

I have also researched all the occupants and the owners ...not the same thing, though on the census' it is difficult to be certain which cottage is which as of course they are not numbered, but since we are part of only a small group of 5 rural properties I think I've pretty much got it sorted.

I love living here and often think about those families who were here before me... no ghosts though!

Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:01 BST (UK) »
This is a picture of some of the work we had to do... had to live in anke deep rubble for uite a while!
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
OOps - sorry!  That was a lot bigger than intended!

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
Ohhhh!!!!

The memories your pic brings back kbc!!

(We refurbished our last house in North London from Roof to cellar:-)

Romilly. :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
These were the old stairs from the living room to the next floor (it's 4 floors altogether)

Offline Andy001

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 September 06 18:36 BST (UK) »
Our house is only 11 years old and we're the only people who have lived in it.I'm sure if it lasts a hundred years (very much doubt it!!!) future generations will have a laugh at some of the things my kids poked down the floorboards when they were little!! Unfortunately they might be creeped out by quite a lot of hair,I always do their haircuts on the landing and we've got painted floorboards ;D

Strangely though,it turned out my friends ancestors lived a little further down my street in 1851 and some of mine lived just up the road in 1841 and both our families are from out of the area.Its strange to think we've walked the same streets.
West Midlands;Manchester;Halifax;Wadsworth;<br />Denholme;Aberdeen;Leeds;Oxford;Ludgershall;Bletchingdon<br /><br />Watson,Pollitt,Briggs,Purcell,Byron,Clancy,McNulty,Hartley,Spencer,Whyte,Worth,Mills,Cripps,Howson,Wright