Author Topic: John gair born 1838  (Read 7364 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
John gair born 1838
« on: Wednesday 20 September 06 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for John Gair born around 1838 I cannot find his birth certificate

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John gair born 1838
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
Can you give more information?   Northumberland is a large county.  There is not much to go on here.  Where would you expect to find him?  Have you got any census records for him?   Not all births were registered that early as it was not complusory until much later.   A baptism might be a better bet.  Have you got his marriage certificate which will name his father?
Andrea

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 14:28 BST (UK) »
John was born in Amble Northumberland
His father was Robert and his mother was ?????????

Hi Sillgen

John Gair

His first Marriage was to a Catherine Bolton his second wife was Esther Brewer she was from Lincoln

I have tried Alnwick for the birth certificate of John but it could not be found although I had numbers to go on I had picked up at Bolbec Hall Newcastle

I had been to my genealogy class this morning and was showing friends how to enter rootschat and how quick the replies came through

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
1861 census RG9 3877 F59 p30 Hauxley Village
Robert Gair 57 Farm labourer b Hauxley
Jane 52 b Foladon?
Robert 25   farm lab  b Amble Link
John 23  farm lab             "
Edwrd 20 farm lab b ????Hill
Elizabeth 16                    "
Margaret 12                  "
All the birth places were in Northumberland but I could not read them easily.
I expect it is the right John though.  What was his occupation?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 18:13 BST (UK) »
1851 HO107 2419 1928 Gloster Hill
Robert 49 ag lab b Hauxley
Jane 49 b Falladon?
Mary Ann 17 Hse serv b Amble Link
Robert 17 farm serv           "
John 13 farm serv   b Amble
Edward 9
Elizabeth 6
Margaret 3 all b Gloster Hill
Looks as if he went into the mines later.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 18:23 BST (UK) »
1871 RG10 5170 F47 p20 Gibson St Amble
Jane Gair Hd 64 Widow pauper b New Falloden?
next door
John Gair 32 Coal trimmer & miner b Amble
Catherine 30 b Thriston?
Robert 8 b Buston?
John 6   b Radcliffe
Margaret 5
Joseph 2
Edward 11 months all b Amble
If you cannot find John's birth certificate why not look for one of his siblings?    The local office do not need the GRO number.  They only need an approximate date.  Have a look at www.genuki.com to see which office you should write to.
Andrea

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 18:29 BST (UK) »
Robert Gair married a Jane Miller on 12/02/1832 at Jarrow St Paul; I know that doesn't answer your direct question but presume you are trying to get further back in your tree??
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sillgen
I know this is him father Robert born Hauxley
and John was born in Amble some documents show Links farm Amble and Gloster Hill is where some of the children were born.

I have Johns sons (Robert ) birth certificate  it was Johns I was after

Maybe he was born on the fringe of the start of certificates

Elizabeth

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 20:31 BST (UK) »
Ah
Again it would have been very helpful if you had said originally what you knew about the family.  As you implied that you did not know his mother I assumed you did not have the census records.
John may well have been too early for birth certificates  which is why I suggested looking for one of his younger siblings (brothers and sisters) as I thought you were trying to find his mother's maiden name.
habanero has come up with a likely marriage but you do need to confirm this by getting a birth certificate for one of the children so that you are sure she was Jane Miller.
Andrea