Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are (III) #3: Colin Jackson  (Read 23259 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are (III) #3: Colin Jackson
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 21 September 06 14:22 BST (UK) »
Absolutely great programme.

I was doubtful at first because they launched into DNA testing and followed a social history of Jamaica rather than a family history but it all turned round and I was hooked!

There was a Stewart line that wasn't mentioned and I wonder if it related at all to Moira's family?  Common enough name but coincidences do happen ...

I was curious about Duncan Campbell as well where in Scotland he hailled from I wonder?  I wish all illegitimate born children could be found a father so easily!

I thought this one was more believeable than others.  The Panama database was similar to the Angelsey mining database and I found my direct ancestors that easily.

Fantastic programme.  The ladies are being spoiled this series.

Good use of newspapers in this one and how they fitted the repossession to the earthquake.  It's good to keep in mind what was happening in the local environment. If you have stone masons look at when the local quarry went out of business for example.

This episode definitely deserves a second viewing when it's repeated.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 21 September 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
cbcarolyn suggests Packer was not a name they knew before he went to Panama, but Colin told how she had visited the family in Wales (or England, as he kept saying, to my irritation) so he knew her personally, not just the name.
   Apart from anything else, Packer was presumably his mother's maiden name - and, if Kerry is correct that Suzanne was born before Colin's parents were married, then Packer is her actual surname - she didn't change it.
   Great programme, though.
     Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 21 September 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 21 September 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Really enjoyed this one....excellent  :)

Dolly
See the Surnames I am researching on the surname interest table

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 22 September 06 15:50 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed the programme and I agree that Colin comes across as a really nice guy, but I didn't think he showed as much emotion about his findings as you would expect - he seemed to be playing the jolly tv presenter too much.

it's only a minor quibble - I always enjoy WDYTYA so much, whoever the subject is. However, I don't think it was the best one ever, by a long shot.

I didn't know David Tennant was really a McDonald! That should be interesting - I can never remember whether it was the McDonalds who massacred the Campbells or the other way round! I have Campbell blood in me but I'll forgive him because of that lovely smile!! (Or should he be forgiving me?) Can't wait!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 22 September 06 16:43 BST (UK) »
I thought Colin *was* emotional but tried not to show it too much on camera - at the point where he left the cemetery having discovered the exhumation he kept having to turn away from the camera.  I too thought it was a great programme - really enjoyed it.

Jill - if it's the Glencoe massacre you're referring to I think it'd have to be David Tennant forgiving you - the McDonalds were massacred by the Campbells. (Of course, the Campbells didn't get on too well with my MacGregor lot either... ;))

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
Anna,

I was just imagining how David Tennant might show his forgiveness, but back to reality...

I'm beginning to think the Campbells weren't very popular at all! I'm just reading the Jacobite Trilogy by DK Broster and the Stewarts didn't like us either because we didn't take Bonnie Prince Charlie's side in the Jacobite uprising! I think I must come from a much nicer branch of the Campbell clan!

I'm hoping that we'll see a lot of Scottish record research, although I have read that David travels to Northern Ireland to trace some ancestors who were involved in the sectarianism which could be a bit upsetting for him.

I'm really looking forward to it - is it really only Friday?

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:42 BST (UK) »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I missed it

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Can anyone tell me when the repeat is please?

Thanks
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:43 BST (UK) »
The repeats on Tuesday at 7pm on BBC2.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net