Author Topic: Parish records lookup  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Margaret Scoresby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish records lookup
« on: Thursday 21 September 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have been trying for quite awhile to find the marriage record of Henry Bartlett and Elizabeth (or Eliza) Cook or Clark in the period of 1837-1840.  He is from Devon; she, from Dorset, but lived in Jersey.  I have traced them on the 1841 and 1851 census in Jersey.  She died sometime between 1851 and 1861, and he latter married Emma ?.  They appear on later censuses.  He is the father of 7 children that I know of:  Anna Maria, Susan Mary, Elizabeth Pamela, Henry Joseph, with first wife, and John W., Emma, and Edward or Edwin with his second wife.

Any help with records of any kind for this family would be greatly appreciated.  The son, Henry Joseph, went to sea at a young age and eventually settled in the US, where I have records of him.  But I have very little information about any of the rest of the family, including surnames, married names, etc.

Thanks so much!
Margaret

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret -

I see you are new to Rootschat, so I hope you find it useful...

I have found only one marriage so far for Henry Barlett in St Helier, Jersey marriages index around this period: 
St Helier -  28.8.1825
Henry Bartlett  - Inverne, Dorset  to
Martha Wheeler - Lidlink, Dorset.

I thought in view of the Dorset connection it was worth a note - Does this sound possible?

There might be a later marriage to Elizabeth / Eliza Cook / Clark, but I have not found it yet.   I'll try again when I get the time.

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Margaret Scoresby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records lookup
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Mike,
Thanks so much for trying.  I think the Henry Bartlett/Martha Wheeler marriage is too early to be this couple.  I'm still hopeful that someday I'll find the record.