Author Topic: John Musselwhite  (Read 4434 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: John Musselwhite
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 September 06 20:27 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi everyone.....Thanks Kris for the PM ;D. I have got the decorators in for the next week and the computer has been off for the last few days :'(. George and Charlotte King's son John died very soon after being born. . All my paperwork is packed away at the moment but i think he was about 14 months approx.  So i know for a fact that it was not him that Julie is tracking unless she has tracked the wrong John in later census's. I have only just found your PM so give me a few mins to read through all these posts or see i will try to get to my papers.  Of course the George and Charlotte( nee King) famly is mine and it would be great to hook up with someone else who is researching the same Mussellwhites.  Look forward to conversing with you Jules.

best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 September 06 20:44 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Jules.... It looks like your John is the son of Jonas Mussellwhite and Charlotte Pressey.  I am not sure at this stage if Jonas is anyway related to my tree but there were quite a few lines of Mussellwhites in Downton at that time. It looks like  some of them originated in Britford . I will carry on looking through for you.

best wishes  cheryle
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline Jules1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 September 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
:) :) :)

Hi Kris, Trish and Cheryle for all your info.

I only wish I had discovered roots.chat a long time ago, I have spent hours trying to find this information.

The earliest census record I have for him is 1871, but I have found his marriage and all the baptisms of his kid.

I don't know of any siblings etc, I only know his marriage and then his kids on wards.

So Mussellwhite started off with 2 l's then.  Cheryle, do you know where the name originated from at all?

I look forward to hearing from you further if you can help at all.  if you would like a copy of my tree, then happy to mail you it, there are quite a lot of us.

Regards
Jules
Ashford, Beesley, Bird, Bollen, Bolton,  Brooks,  Bundy, Chalk, Cleaveley, Culpepper, Dike, Durrant, Fulford, Gauntlett, Hudson, Musselwhite, Northover, Pearce, Ryall, Saban, Scorey, Senior, Sequeria, Threlfall, Tite, Treadwell,

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 September 06 22:14 BST (UK) »
 The child of Charlotte and George who died is as follows....

John Mussellwhite   Redlynch  16 months  Feb 7  1839

And from the family of Jonah this could be his father who is  living with him in the 41...

1756-1772 Downton Baptisims WRO REF 914/5

John son of George and Sarah b 25 Aug 1771
           George son of George and Sarah b 18 June 1769
           Sarah dau of George and Sarah b 12 April 1774

and Johns Parents?
           Burials
           Sarah wife of George 27 Dec 1792   age 60
           George  Pauper  21 April 1799 age 60

And looking at very early marriages and births/deaths there is a possibility that Jonas and George Musselwhites father James could have been  brothers.  I have a lot of the very early stuff if you need and Nicky C has helped me no end with information as well, so i am sure if i do not have what you need, she may have it.  Speak to you soon :D

regards  cheryle

Ps. i have just read your post about the two l's. You will find as you progress that with your research through the years you will have both versions.  Birth, death and marriage cert even into the 1940's and 50's will differ. There is a Mussellwhite coat of arms as well, and i think that i read on one web site  that the Mussellwhite name originated from France but i will find the info and let you know for sure :)  Send me some info on PM and i will let you know if i can help you with anything. ;D

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 September 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Glad you have joined us Cheryle, hope the decorating goes well next week. I knew you would find the thread yourself but couldn't resist PMing you  ;)

Pity it is not your John Cheryle, I was suspecting the same when only one John appeared and he seemed to be the son of Jonas and Charlotte. I couldn't find Jonas either so hope Nicki may know something more for you Jules.

Jules I will see what I can find in the meantime for you

1851 Census

HO107/1685 Folio 13 Page 19
Brimpton Common
Brimpton
Berkshire

MUSSELWHITE Jonas Head 51 Mar b Downton Ag Lab
MUSSELWHITE Charlote Wife 48 Mar b Winterbourne Ag Lab Wife
MUSSELWHITE Thomas Son 19 Unm b Downton Farm Labourer
MUSSELWHITE Martha Dau 13 b Downton Scholar
MUSSELWHITE Ruben Son 6 b Brimpton Scholar

1861 Census

I can't see John but here is his family. Jonas is still listing birth in Downton

RG9/719 Folio 6 Page 6
Brimpton Common
Brimpton

MUSSELWHITE Jons Head 62 Mar Downton Ag Lab
MUSSLEWHITE Charlotte Wife 59 Mar b Winterbourne
MUSSELWHITE Ruben Son 16 Unm b Brimpton Ag Lab

1871 Census

RG10/1247 Folio 9 Page 10
Buttons Lane
Brimpton

MUSSELWHITE Jonas Head 71 Mar b Downton
MUSSELWHITE Charlotte Wife 63 Mar b Winterbourn Wilts Ag Lab Wife
MUSSELWHITE Charlotte Dau 33 Unm b Dounton Wilts Dom Serv
MUSSELWHITE Reuben Son 26 Mar b Brimpton Gardener Dom Serv
MUSSELWHITE Jane Dau in Law 23 Baughurst Hants
MUSSELWHITE Thomas Grandson 2 b Brimpton

So Jonas is consistent with an  birth in Downton  around 1800 yet I cannot see him in any extracted records. It would pay to get the Downton film if Cheryle and Nicki can't help further ;)

Cheers Kris  :D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicky c

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
HI jULES,
i have alot of info about Downton, let know what you need
                                            Nicky