Author Topic: Vernon UTTLEY b 1899 WRY, living USA pre WW2. Lookup please  (Read 8767 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Vernon UTTLEY b 1899 WRY, living USA pre WW2. Lookup please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Agnes,

Please don't worry about keeping me up to date, I know how difficult it can be communicating on complex matters with more than one person!  In any case I am in regular contact with Charlotte and she keeps me well informed of developments.

Thanks for the link to your query, which I will keep watching.  Obviously the question of how many times Vernon visited the US is was sorted - I was responding to comments in the earlier posts.  Incidentally, I'm SURE that that it should be Huddersfield, Yorks!   ;D

Thanks for your efforts,
and Regards,
Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Agnes & Maggie,
  Maggie, you are quite correct about the Ellis Island site info.  I did read it incorrectly and Vernon was in US only once prior to 1921. He arrived on the Tuscania  in 1915 & went to Boston, gave his uncle there as his address, and stayed for two years.

The records show he returned in 1921 on the SS Cedric and declared his intention to remain permanently in USA.

The mystery still remains as to why the British Govt would pay his fare.   Was there an ex-servicemen's scheme whereby they were assisted to emigrate should they so wish?  I'll try to follow that up.

Thanks again Maggie for using your sharp eyes.
charlotte

Hi Charlotte & Agnes,

In your earlier posts you mention that the Ellis Island ship's manifest for Vernon in 1921 shows him having previously entered the US twice in 2 years, in 1915 and again in 1917.  I have been looking at the manifest and I read it differently.  I think it says that on his previous visit he stayed for 2 years, from 1915 to 1917.

The wording '2 yrs' is typed underneath the hand written dates, which I think read 1915 - 1917.

Looking at other entries on the page, for example the entry immediately above Vernon's entry, 1903 - 1921 is hand written and underneath is typed 18 yrs.  Also the column is headed 'If Yes' (visited US before) 'Year or Period of Years'.

Hope I am making sense!!

Regards,
Maggie

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Morning Agnes & Charlotte,

Hope I didn't sound too pompous!!!  :-\  :-\

Best wishes to you both,
Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte, Agnes, and Maggie: Just re-read the posts on Vernon Uttley. One thing I noticed is that the 1930 census gives his occupation as Engineer Western Elec. Somehow the company go turned into General Electric in a later post. But this company is not General Electric. Western Electric was the manufacturing arm of ATT (American Telephone and Telegraph), which used to be the nationwide telephone company in the U.S.

Western Electric used to have a manufacturing facility (post WWII) in either Andover or North Andover, Massachusetts, neighboring towns that are about 20 miles northwest of Boston.

Maggie10 will say "aha" when I mention that the two towns lie next to Lawrence, Mass., one of whose families she has come to know in some detail through her search for John Taylor the Adventurer. Given the years, Vernon Uttley would not have worked for Western Electric in Massachusetts. He perhaps was being educated in or near Boston, which may have explained why the British govt. was paying his way?

In New Jersey, Vernon Uttley would probably have worked at Western Electric's facility in Kearny, which is not far from Newark. Don't know if this helps, but I thought I should clarify the situation to keep you from investigating dead ends.

The telephone industry has gone through so many changes that I'm not sure where to suggest that you look for Vernon's connection to Western Electric. Without going into much detail Western Electric became part of a company called Lucent Technologies after ATT was broken up in 1984. Lucent merged a year or two ago with the French company Alcatel, I think, but they still have facilities in New Jersey, or at leas did recently.

Regards,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I am certain that Charlotte will appreciate your expertise in this matter and it does give more avenues to follow to hopefully find archived information. I live in England and truly appreciate this sort of information, which helps us all in our US research.

I am still intrigued by the "Vernon Uttley" story and would certainly love to hear of the outcome.

Thanks from me John

Best wishes

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England
Beresford - Birmingham, England
Hall - Birmingham, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 November 06 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte: After posting the other day about Vernon Uttley's employer being Western Electric, rather than General Electric, I found information indicating that Western Electric's Kearny, New Jersey plant was active in the development and production of radar equipment for the U.S. military. I have no way of knowing how long Vernon might have worked for Western Electric after the U.S. entry into the war in December 1941. But the connection to radar might explain why he went in to the army with the rank of colonel.

I may also found info on his experience in World War I.

From the Medal Cards Index at the National Archives in Kew:

Description     
Medal card of Uttley, Vernon
Corps                         Regiment No   Rank
Machine Gun Corps    35086               Private

To search, go here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
Type "Uttley, Vernon" into the search box to search the entire National Archives site. Only one hit will be returned. You can order a document for £3.50.

Regards,
John
 :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 November 06 06:47 GMT (UK) »

John,
Thank you  for all that great information about Vernon Uttley-. yes, the radar bit is quite possibly, even probably, the explanation about his WW2 service and rank of Colonel. I don't think life as a WW1 machine gunner would line him up for that promotion.

Thank you also to alerting me that I had turned Western Electric  into GE! The dangers of transcribing.
 Re his time in Mass.- I first wondered about Harvard but his parents were in Wales UK and he had only $200 on arriving to live permanently in US after WW1. Maybe he sat for a scholarship. Lots of maybes. Later in life, he maintained a house in London & travelled back and forth from US until  he died in London.

Thank you again for the info- especially about the radar as a possible explanation- fascinating stuff.
charlotte

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 November 06 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I have nothing to contribute here. I just wanted to share that I am fascinated with this thread and have spent some time today reading through it. I am looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 November 06 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte

I hope that you have looked at the US passenger lists (which are apparantly free to access until the end of November)

There have been major additions and I have been looking for entries for my father who worked on the  ships between 1945 and 1947 and have been really lucky as well as finding my Mom's passenger list entry when she went over to the US as a GI bride in June 1946.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Well, I just couldn't resist putting "Vernon Uttley" into the search and with excellent results.  8)

Vernon, Lillian and Weldon were travelling on Pan American Airways on September 5th 1947, from San Juan, Puerto Rico to LaGuardia Airport, New York.

There is also an information sheet for Lillian, which had to be filled in as she appears to be a "resident alien". I really do not understand this as I would have thought that she would have been naturalized automatically as she was the wife of a naturalized subject but hopefully John (johnnyboy) or Kath (KathMc) would be able to shed some light on this. I would certainly be interested in why this would be so...for my own research also.

Lillian travelled from Germany to New York in 1951 and from Southampton to New York in 1952...and Weldon travelled from Germany to New York in 1952.

Hopefully, there will be lots of info gleaned from these lists.

Very best wishes

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England