Author Topic: Upsetting genealogy?  (Read 5829 times)

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
Upsetting genealogy?
« on: Friday 22 September 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
I was thinking about seeing the celebs getting a bit tearful on WDYTYA, and was wondering if anyone had found something out in their tree that had moved them to tears? Especially if it was far back - obviously when it it things about people you know then it's a bit different! (i.e. Colin Jackson's grandmother)

I've found things sad but it's never made me want to cry... am I just hard hearted??!!  :-\
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Upsetting genealogy?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, can't say I've ever actually cryed over anything familytree related. Sometimes surprised, sometimes sad but never cryed.

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
Something that did move me to tears was finding my 5 x great grandmother's grave at a local churchyard.  I didn't find her husband and I don't know why I felt so sad when I found the grave.  I have found several other graves but they haven't given me the same reaction. :-\ :-\

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
I've been very sad and angry over some of my finds:

Sad, especially, when I find something that I know my Mum or Dad would have loved to know.

Sad when I found that one of my 2 x great grandmothers probably committed suicide on her wedding anniversary because she'd found out that her husband was having an affair.

Angry at the way my great grandmother and my grandfather were treated by her parents.............. how ancestors were killed because of poor safety regs in the coal mines, were evicted from their lands, etc.

Lots of sadnesses but tears only about my Mum and Dad not knowing all this.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

indiapaleale

« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
Have been very sad over a number of finds....especially my 7 British Home Children...sons and daughters of my Grandad's brother. I have their notes from the Middlemore Home where they were placed...and these children had an awful life.  And...for several of them...it was not much better after they got to Canada :'(

But my saddest is little Agnes....My Grandma's illegitimate half-sister who died of malnutrition at age 2. My Grandma would have been 7 when Agnes died....I often wonder if she remembered her.....but my Grandma has been gone since 1959....so there is no way to know. Agnes bought me close to tears.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
I've found things sad but it's never made me want to cry... am I just hard hearted??!! 

I'm sure you're not Caroline - its only sentimental old fools like me that are moved to tears, not young girls like you.   ;) ;D
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, today I found out that my 2 times greatgrandmother who had a sister who died at the age of 13 was apparently devestated by her death and for about the next sixty odd years up to her own death visited her sister's grave regularly and burst into tears every time she came back home from there, every time I read it, it makes me feel a bit for her even though my 2 times greatgrandmother died 34 years before I was born. So must admit familytree findings do make me feel sad from time to time.

Anna

Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
When I found out that my late dad's grandma was placed in the workhouse listed as a pauper, that got to me and my mum who remembers her grandma in law well, she is the lady on my profile, only good thing is that she did go on to have a good life with her husband and her numerous children and grandchildren, she died the year before I was born but I was the fourth great grandchild so she knew a few of us ;)

But they all seemed to have hard times and not a life like we do.  I feel quite ashamed now as I have moaned today because I have had to buy a new washing machine, I would think they would have been pleased with a twin tub in there time.

Jane
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
I met up with a second cousin and we were sharing family photos and history. I showed him a picture of his father and his two brothers and one sister. My cousins father had never told him that he had a sister he only new about the brothers (one my grandfather). She died of meningitis at nine years of age. As far as I know I have the only two photos in existence of poor Florence.  It was very moving to see someone take in the information that he had an aunt he knew nothing about.

Regards Nicola
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk