Author Topic: Upsetting genealogy?  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Bitza 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Upsetting genealogy?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
i felt sad that my mum had a still birth and had no photos of my sister ( not like today you get photos) mum often spoke of my sister and there was never a birth or any document to say she was ever born.

to me this is sad as its like my sister is just a name. mum had given her with a number her year of birth (just like in the army or prison)

i have since found out i can get info on the birth. which to me will be a closure as it will give my sister a place in the family as i am going to get the documents required  which will show proof of her existence and not just a name and number.

up untill just a few days ago i never knew any one could get such proof.

because of the sensitive nature i will be happy to provide information on how to get this document if any one wants to PM me as I'm not sure where to put info on the site regarding a still birth.
                                  Bitz
ClearyIreland/England
Normyle Ireland/England
Liddell Lanark
Freland Scotland
Cameron Scotland
Renfrey cornwall
Tregoning Cornwall
Lewis Wales
Burge England
Mills England
Spanswick England

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 September 06 12:42 BST (UK) »
I've acquired lots of death certificates for ancestors (as one does) and most of them give fairly common causes of death - apoplexy / tb / the usual stuff, but I was a bit taken aback when i got a cert for one of my ggg g/fathers - he died of Cancer of the Tongue

I just think that must have been horrible.  He was a stone mason and I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 September 06 12:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder if he smoked a pipe?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 September 06 12:52 BST (UK) »
he died of Cancer of the Tongue
Nasty.  Can't say I've come accross that one in my family fortunately, which is a surprise since most everyone in my family died from one form of cancer or another. :(
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 September 06 21:45 BST (UK) »
I got rather upset when I received the death cert for whom I thought was my gg grandfather.  This poor chap died in the work house in a particularly upsetting way.  I then discovered that he probably wasn't my rellie, as the son I thought was my g grandfather died at the age of  6 months, followed closely by his mother.  I have been unable to trace the family, so I don't know what happened in the intervening years prior to his admission into the workhouse, bu the more I think of this poor chap and how he lost his loved ones, and maybe the fact that he may have been the last of his line saddens me.  Am I the only one who has remembered him 150 years later?

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 September 06 22:14 BST (UK) »
How sad, at least he is remembered by someone, even if you aren't a relative sallysmum.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline squidgychoddah

• RootsChat Extra
  • My beautiful mum 1932 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 September 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill749

I have visited Tyne Cot, and found it very moving, also went to the Menine Gate, the memorial was heart rending, cried like a baby, didn't know until i got home that my g uncle was buried in a cemetary just round the corner.. Whilst in Belgium visited many cemetaries, all having the same effect on me, also went to the fields where the fighting was, it was very eerie.

Gina
Howard London/Middlesex & Australia. Coggins, Coulson, Eagles, Sandford, Dooley, Herlock, Hearn & Harrod all London/Middlesex. Shrosbree London/Middlesex & NZ

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 September 06 15:33 BST (UK) »
didn't know until i got home that my g uncle was buried in a cemetary just round the corner
That's always the way, and always irritating.  I visited Tyne Cot myself when I was in school, only to discover I've got two great-uncles buried there (one from my dad's side, one from my mum's).  Makes me sad that you can be quite literally so close, yet so far.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline curiousfox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 25 September 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
my grandfather lost his son just six weeks before the end of the 1st world war. when i found that his 1st wife died just 10 days later, it brought a tear to my eye.
made me realise what hard times they were.
Biscoe
Breakspear
Fiddy
Durden
Waklin
Roote
Loughnane
Norman. of Bristol and Wilts
Churchill. Berkshire
Hawtree. Herts and Middlesex