Author Topic: Upsetting genealogy?  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: Upsetting genealogy?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 25 September 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
its only sentimental old fools like me that are moved to tears, not young girls like you

Only real men cry Bill...my hubby gets through boxes of tissues when watching something sad on the TV, and I think it's lovely.  I don't admire heart-hearted men at all.

I was upset when I discovered that three of my great great uncles died very young, and did have a little cry when I discovered one of their wives had died in the workhouse blind for 25 years. I can't imagine what life must have been like for her after bringing up a family.  She was home with the family in 1881 but in the workhouse with her eldest daughter in 1891, so must have fallen on hard times.  :'(

Su

Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 14:24 BST (UK) »
my hubby gets through boxes of tissues when watching something sad on the TV
Me too, Su - more than ever these days - but the worst time was when Princess Di's brother spoke at her funeral!!

:'( :'( :'(
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
  • A smile can make some ones day
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 01:39 BST (UK) »
I visited Bergen Belson museum and watched the film taken at the end of the war when the camp was liberated. Even though I, to my knowledge, do not have any ancestors there, I wept buckets because it was so terrible.
Having said that I get laughed at by certain family members because I am so sensitive and can cry at the drop of a hat.
I got teased unmercifully for shedding tears at the Hot Chocolate advert that used to be on T.V. in the 70's where a young girl had waited in the cold for her boyfriend and he didn't turn up. On her return home, mum gave her hot chocalate and she replied that the boy had 'big ears anyway'. I sat there with tears rolling down my face and the whole family shouted 'Look she's even crying at adverts now!'
I sobbed my way through 'Holocaust' so much so that hubby suggested I didn't watch anymore because I was too upset by it. Finally one Christmas I watched a children's cartoon called 'Teddy Edward Bear Finds Christmas' and blubbered all the way through that.
I don't think there is much hope for me now. My youngest son inherited this sensitive trait and his dad sent him to boxing lessons to toughen him up, but he cried when he hurt someone!
I agree that it takes a  real man to cry. Now I don't try and hide it I just do it and I feel much better rather than bottling it up.
Pennine
Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
I spent some time searching the War Graves Commission site for the grave or memorial to my great-grandad's brother who died at Ypres (WW1), and seeing the names of all those young men did bring a lump to my throat. It really brought home the whole idea of a lost generation.

Also, a couple of days ago I found the death certificate for my gran's younger brother who died at the age of 6. I always knew he had died, but seeing it there in black and white was so sad. The ages of the deceased were given and he was surrounded by the names of people who had lived into their 70s and 80s and then there was this single figure 6.
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland