Author Topic: Upsetting genealogy?  (Read 5825 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Upsetting genealogy?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
Some of my tears were for my Great Uncle who died in WW1 at the age of 21 I know a lot of men did but this was all the more poignant as I found the War diaries for the date he died, also photos. His brothers were also in the same area but only one got injured and survived, the other was in a trench across the way and not a scratch. Then I found a list of all the men who died on that night and when I saw their average age (20) that was strange for me - my youngest is 20 and trying to imagine him at war was hard.

My other tears are for my In laws - James and Pansy - never being able to see their Grandchildren and their children. Never seeing how their children turned out - they both died between 1966 and 1971 -

Whenever I find a new relative on their sides I know they are watching but it isn't the same is it?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
Earlier this week I visited the churchyards where my GGrandmother & GAunt are buried. It made me sad to think that my GAunt died at 17 months old and is not buried with her family. Both she and her mother died in the workhouse.
The nice thing is she is buried in the churchyard of a beautiful C13 church so (hopefully) should never be disturbed.

Dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

My grandfather was also killed in WW1 at Ypres, aged 30, leaving a widow and 5 young children - the youngest about 3 years old.  I have visited his grave a number of times.

But if you really want to be moved by the needless loss of life in the first World War, just stand at the gates of Tyne Cot cemetery in Flanders and look over the ranks of graves to the huge memorial wall at the rear.

I think this is the most moving sight anywhere - it really brings home the huge tragedy of it all.   :'(

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:55 BST (UK) »
I keep saying that next time we are in Germany I will make the journey over to the Bard Cottage cemetery where he is buried. I don't know what I would be like being there to be honest

We went by Auschwitz one day and the feeling of sadness and death overwhelmed me then so what would I be like there

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 September 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
I'm never too phased by bad things I find out.  Some of the time if those things hadn't happened, I might not be here.  My GG Grandfather commited suicide a few years before my G Grandmother married.  That would obviously had a profound impact on her life - every part of her life.  It's all a series of unlikely events that lead to me and if you change just one of them, it could change everything.

I've never got upset about anything I've found, I just accept it as it is.

I don't know anything about what my G Grandfather (other side) did.  My dad and uncle never knew him - he was supposedly always working when they went to see their Grandmother.  They didn't even know his name until his funeral when they were in their late teens.  However I am in contact with someone on GR, a nephew of my G Grandfather who went to see them.  It's this side that I'd say 'upsets' me the most because there are no photos and no information - I wish I knew more about him.

Andrew

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 September 06 20:23 BST (UK) »
My GG Grandfather's sister and her family emigrated to Utah from Aberdeen in 1868 leaving behind quite a harsh life and the loss of several children.

I found out that the husband and 12 year old son had drowned in the Weber river along with another man in 1875 and I thought that was very sad...I have found that there are quite a few sad stories in my family but I too have always just accepted it.

The other day, I managed to find an article in the digital newpaper archives about the drowning and reading about it really upset me...they were crossing the river in a deeper part than usual when the son floated away. The father got hold of him but he couldn't swim and both went under water. The other man, who could swim, went after them. A witness saw the father with his son on one arm and his other arm clasping the man...they all sank together.

Maybe it was the final words of the article... 'They were all quite dead' that finally got me or actually reading an account of it rather than just a date and fact but I did get very emotional.

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 September 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
I think that the saddest i've been was when I was writing out a lot of burial records with the name Loveday. There were so many little children - I think that if i had kids of my own it probably would have got to me even more  :(
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 September 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
Carrie

The death of small children is somehow always saddest.  I had one family who lost 6 small children, 3 at the same time to typhoid, that made me sad.  I know they were used to it then but it must nevertheless have been heartbreaking to lose children like that!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 September 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
 :( :'(
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex