Author Topic: PETRIE  (Read 3603 times)

Offline SPlumb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PETRIE
« on: Friday 22 September 06 19:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for links to David Petrie born Scotland 1846 and went to live and marry in Birkenhead Liverpool. Married Mary Jane Garrett (nee Mulvey). Had children David b 1881, Joseph b1882, Mary b1884, Robert b1885.

He died 1886.

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PETRIE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi SPlum,

Do you know where David Petrie born 1846 was born?  Was he born in Angus, I found two on IGI born the same year.
The first had a middle name David Palmer Petrie and was born in June 1846 Saint Vigeans, Angus, Scotland.
The second David Petrie was born the same year March 1846 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland.

I also found the 1881 census where the family is living at 186 Cleveland St
Birkenhead, Cheshire, England.  Mary must have been married before as there are 3 children with the surname Garrett listed as Stepchildren.  There is also a son called after his father David who is a year old.

At this time in the 1881 census David is 35 years of age and his wife Mary was 28, she was born in Lancashire England

If you can give the information on which David Petrie is yours then I can give you his parents names if you don't already have them.

Elizabeth

Offline SPlumb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunatley I don't know much about Petrie at all. We did find that Cleveland address - he married Mary Jane Mulvey who was widowed by a John Garre[a]tt in 1886. After being widowed by Petrie she married my paternal great grandfather William Donnelly (captured as Donley). Garrett died a horrible death in a boating accident - legs trapped in a hauser (?). We don't know anything about David only that his marriage cert and census say born Scotland. Marriage cert also says his dad was also a David Petrie (labourer). The Scots records appear to be very thin on the ground. Would you have nay suggetsions of how to pursue this?  It was strange that although I found a death for Petrie I found no other possible Petrie Links. Any help would be most appreciated.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again SPlum,

If you are trying to find out about David you will have to order his birth certificate from Scotlands people.  This would give you both his parents names an then you can move on from there.
I have checked Scotlands People and the are only two David Petrie's born in 1846 in the whole of Scotlands records.  I have the information for you of his parents names and also the reference number if you wish to order the birth certificate.

Elizabeth

Offline SPlumb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

thanks for coming back to me. I'd really appreciate info on David's parents so I can order. We usually order online.

regards

Sharon Plumb

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Garrett died a horrible death in a boating accident - legs trapped in a hauser (?).

I wonder if that is a hawser? That's a large rope or a metal cable used on ships' winches and anchors. If you got caught in one powered by an engine, you could easily be crushed or dragged under water. As you say, horrific.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again SPlum,

If you go on to Scotland people you can order it as there is no image because its an Old Parish Register birth because it is before 1855.

Anyway the information from the birth detail will tell you where the family lived etc.
Also here is the parents Father David Petrie mother Elizabeth maiden name Ross, the birth was in Dysart, reference numbers at the end for you to order it on ScotlandsPeople

19/03/1846 PETRIE DAVID DAVID PETRIE/ELIZABETH ROSS M DYSART 426/00 0006

Hope this helps!!

Best wishes Elizabeth

Offline SPlumb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Thanks you so much for the help regarding parents of David Petrie - will order this weekend and see what we get! He had 4 children with Mary (David b 1881, Mary b1882, Joseph b1884 and Robert b1885 but we lose track of them after 1901.

About John  Garra[e]tt and his awful death. Yes it was a hawser not a hauser. I came across the Inquest on one of the "old mersey/liverpool" sites but couldn't find it again last night - fortunately I have a print out somewhere. But what I did find was another recording of the Inquest on www.old-merseyside but it is definately a different report (the one I have listed the fact that he left a widow and children behind and that he lived in Birkenhead)The one I found last night though lists him as Garnett not Garrett (transcription problem I think). I am not a hundred percent sure but think my sister has a copy of his death certificate so will check the info from that. Mary ahd 3 children with John - Grace b 1872, Abigail b 1874 and John b1876/7.

She then had 3 children with my GGF - phew! what a housefull.

Thanks again,

Sharon Plumb

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 16:27 BST (UK) »
Ah so its Sharon,

I though your name was going to be Suger Plum (as in the fairy) just hope this David Petrie is the correct one as you already have them in all the ceusus up to the 1901 you will know if his wifes name was Elizabeth!!

The other birth as I said had a middle name and was David Palmer Petrie and his fathers name was William and mothers name was Isabel Petrie nee
Mill.

You will know from the census which birth it is!!

Best wishes Sharon!

Elizabeth