Author Topic: Trevanions  (Read 33542 times)

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trevanions
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kappalyn
The family seat for the Trevanions was Caerhayes Castle Cornwell. I can only go back to 1804 when John Charles Bettesworth Trevanion was born, he married into theTrelawny Family that I am trying to research.
But, & this might be significant that Charles & Florence seem to be reoccuring family names. I hope Christina will see your post as she is a Trevanion & has researched a lot about her family & is very knowledgeable.
Good Luck
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Just another thought-- Sophia Trevanion b.1729 married Adm: The Hon. John Byron grandfather of the Poet Lord Byron. The Hon John's parents were John Byron & Barbara Berkeley.
Vesta

Offline Kappalyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andrea and Vesta,

The information that I know about Charles Henry Trevanion is that he was a British army officer.  His wife was Lydia Francis, his son also Charles Henry was born at sea in 1835 probably when they were travelling to the New World ie Australia or New Zealand, but I can find no record of him in NSW although his son was married here in 1863. I will try looking up UK archives for army records.

Thanks again to you both
Margaret
Reynallt
Sharp,
Trevanion

Offline ShanksGrantDalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is of interest, however my family has links to Alice Charlotte Trevanion. Here is a cutting from a chapter of the Grant-Daltons history;

"The eldest son Dalton Foster Grant-Dalton inherited Shanks.  On the 3 May 1848 he married Alice Charlotte Trevanion, twin daughter of Charles Bettesworth Trevanion of Caerhays Castle, Cornwall.  The Trevanions were one of the most ancient and greatest of the Cornish families.  The church at St.Michael, Caerhays, contains many family monuments and relics of the family, notably a sword with which one of the Trevanions was allegedly dubbed Knight Bannerette on Bosworth Field by Henry VII.

Dalton and Alice’s eldest son Reginald was the Black Sheep of the family, and had been disinherited for having married an American actress! So when Dalton died in 1890, the estate passed on to the next in line, who was Alan Grant-Dalton.  It was the final irony, that running expenses on the huge estate were so high that he was unable to meet them, and so decided to make his life else- where. "

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Your post re the Trevanions is interesting. I thought that Charlotte & John Charles Bettesworth Trevanion only had 2 children. Hugh Charles Trevanion & Alice Charlotte who you say was a twin.
Do you have more info on this?
Vesta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 September 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Hugh and Alice were twins? I only have on me what I copied and pasted above. I'll check through the entire chapter but all the original research on Alice's family from there on covers the grant-Daltons down to me. I know my late grandmothers father in South Africa was called "Tre" by his friends as his second name was Trevanion Grant-Dalton.

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 September 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
I don't believe that Hugh & Alice were twins. Hugh was born on 2 April 1828 in Paris, Baptised 4 April 1828 in Paris, & died on 20 May 1901 Lownes Sq London.
Alice was born 2 Oct 1830 in Paris & died 27 May 1903 in Winchester.
Charlotte Trelawny was the youngest sister of my G Grandfather.
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 September 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I thought I had better write again & tell you of my findings today. Records are added all the time & my research is a few years old.
Today I found a Baptism record  on F my P for Hugh Charles Trevanion with birth 1829 & his baptism taking place on 27th April 1829 at St Michaels Church Caehays Cornwall-- this is contrary to my G.G Grandma's records.
Charlotte & her 2 older sisters were taken regularly to Paris to find husbands & the 2 older ones did indeed marry in Paris so I did not question the birth of Charlotte's children there. Charlotte was almost 30 years old when she married John Charles Bettesworth Trevanion a distant cousin of hers.
Charlotte's mother had turned away other suitors as they were not rich enough!!
Who was your Grandma that you mention as I just might have you on my Tree.
Vesta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 September 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Vesta are you asking who my grandmother was? If So, Shiela Williams(nee Grand-Dalton).