Author Topic: Moreland family near Bonnybridge  (Read 4019 times)

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Moreland family near Bonnybridge
« on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help with any details on my grandparets, William Moreland and Mary (ms Halliday).  Their marriage lines of 1905, states them residing at Greenhill, by Bonnybridge. William is aged 31 years then, and Mary aged 22 years.

William's father was John Moreland, his mother Mary Moreland (ms Cunningham)

His wife Mary's father was Robert Halliday, and her mother was Ann Jane Halliday (ms ??? could be Redpath perhaps or Rod........ ?

Can anyone shed any more light on these Moreland or Halliday familes?

Are they mentioned as residing in the area in the 1901 census, or any mention on electoral rolls?

William and Mary had went on to have 3 daughters, May or Mary, Annie and Jessie,  I don't know their birth details.

Hope someone can help.
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moreland family near Bonnybridge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:32 BST (UK) »
You can access the 1901 census at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk It is a pay per view site with 30 credits costing £6
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi atom

Sherlock is right in that you can access the census and statutory records online at Scotlands People.  In your case though instead of looking for the parents on the 1901 census I'd be tempted to spend my credits in a different fashion. 

Since you have a copy of your grandparents MC you know their parents names, mother's maiden names, occupations, and whether they were living or dead at the time of their children's marriage in 1905.  You also know where your grandparents lived so odds are their parents were in or near this same area. (not always but it's worth the chance of searching based on this assumption first)  So finding the parents on a census a few years earlier will only confirm for you if they were living and where and will cost you 6 credits to find out.

I suspect you would really like to try and follow the lines backward and learn who their parents were etc etc etc.  I would suggest you search the death records for the mothers which is usually straightforward with the ability to use maiden name and married name in the searching and also the fact that death records are available online through the years 1955.  In your case I'm quite certain that Mary's mother is easily found dying in Bonnybridge in 1925.

1925 HALLIDAY ANNIE JANE   REDPATH F 74 BONNYBRIDGE /STIRLING

If you spend your 6 credits (1 on the search and 5 to view the image) then you'll know whether her husband was living or dead in 1925 and confirm his name and occupation (which should align with the same info from Mary's MC), you'll also learn who Annie's parents were and if they are living and dead and their occupation, and in this case you'll pick up the name of a son informant so you immediately know that your grandmother had a brother and what his name was.  That's a lot more info for your 6 credits than the census would reveal!!

Hope this is helpful....and best wishes!
Jean

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Thank you for such a helpful and prompt reply.  I was sort of all over the place wondering where to look as I only recently got hold of their marriage details, but I do know that my grandad William was brought up in Whitehaven, Cumbria and I'd heard that my Gran's family - Halliday, were originally from Ireland.  So I did wonder if either of the two families were actually in Scotland by the time of the 1901 census.

I also know that William's occupation on his marriage certificate reads 'Brickmaker' this is also on his death certificate - he died WW1.  And, this information also helps to tie-in with why  my grandparents were living in Glenboig, (where he joined up), as there was a large brickworks there.  However, sometime after WW1, with no husband Mary Moreland and her 3 girls were on the move again to the North East of the country.

Until a few days ago, I had no idea that my grandparents had ever lived in the Stirling area, I always thought they'd originally settled in Glenboig on coming to Scotland.  I also knew nothing at all of any extended family living near them.

So Jean, was that the actual details of my Gran's mum you posted?  Re: Annie Jane Halliday/Redpath.  If so, I think it is absolutely terrific, I am so delighted   :) as I have been in the dark for years about all this.

Very Many Thanks

Anne

McKay:

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
I see that Jean has logged off but from her post, I believe that she has viewed the reord on Scotlandspeople. Other wise she would not have known that Annie's son informed the Registrar of her death.

Looks like you need to spend that £6 to fill in your missing gaps in your tree.
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 06 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Does it say on the Marriage Certificate where William and Mary were married (i.e. a manse or an address)?

I had a look through information I have of al the local War Memorials but couldn't see William's name anywhere and he doesn't appear to be listed on the British War Graves site - http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk so perhaps they moved away from the area before the start of WW1?

Anne

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 06 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Yes, the certificate states they married in Glasgow/Blythswood area with their residence being Greenhill, Bonnybridge.

Corporal William Moreland's name is on the Glenboig war memorial.  He is listed on:   http://www.cwgc.org/.  I would dearly love a photo of him as I have never seen one but I keep living in hope.

I am truly delighted with the help from all you contributors.  I had difficulty getting into SP yesterday.  Again today I was getting nowhere until a short ime ago, when voila!!!, the death certificate appeared on screen for Annie Jane Halliday, ms Redpath.  8)

So  where do I go from here!!! I ask myself?  ::)

McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 06 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know it's not the Armed Forces section, nor is it Lanarkshire, but it's due to William's name being found on the Glenboig war memorial that prevented seeking in the correct place for the Moreland family that first settled and had children in Bonnybridge area.  Also perhaps there were others who also moved to Glenboig which became the largest brickworks in the world in it's day.
McKay:

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 October 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Atom,

On Bonnybridge War Memorial (WW1) there are 2 John Hallidays mentioned - possibly cousins?

I searched CWGC and found the following details (the Rank & Regiments were taken from the War Memorial)

John Halliday, Pte., 8th Battalion Scottish Rifles (Cameronians), Service No: 9719, died 28th June 1915, Helles Memorial, Turkey, Panels 92/97

John Halliday, Pte., 11th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, Service No: S/6282, died 23rd April 1917, Tank Cemetery, Guemappe, France, C.19

You could request a photo of the memorials from  http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk  or print off a certificate from  http://www.cwgc.org

There are other Hallidays listed in Scottish Regiments - might be worthwhile having a wee look.

Anne