Author Topic: William Harry OSBORNE  (Read 2035 times)

Offline willis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Harry OSBORNE
« on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:55 BST (UK) »
I am in need of help from you guys who have more experience than me. I am stuck with a capital S!!
Have received marriage cert for grandparents, no problem. Need to go back on Grandfathers father, who now know was William Harry Osborne. Marriage between his son John and Florence 2/2/1921 West Ham ( know about her) John aged 22 a French polisher living at time of marriage with father at 14 Stewart Rd Leytonstone. William is a house painter. Surely I should be able to find William on 1901 census with son John? Can i? can I *. Possable we are looking for a large family here, as family tale says he was one of 18( John that is ) but spread over 2 wifes. Any thoughts. Help save my sanity!!
Willis--Polstead, Stoke & Colchester
Bones--Purleigh & Danbury
Humm--Woodham Mortimer & Great Henny
Ong--Woodham Mortimer
Osborne---London & Sible Hedingham
Guckes---Kent & London
Ingram--Wrotham
Ridley--Ightham
Root--Trottiscliffe
Hollands--Wrotham
Wagstaff--Fingringhoe & Birch
Brewster--Writtle
Martin--Polstead
Chippington--Stoke
Gillham--Dartford, Poplar & Otford
Lawrence--Dartford

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Harry Osborne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
I can't spot John and/or William H in 1901 either so far....  ???

If John was fibbing a bit about his age when he married, it's possible he was born after the 1901 census, making it a bit harder to find William.

Who are the witnesses on the marriage cert?  If they're relations, that might help in tracking down the right family.

You say John had a horde of siblings: do you know the names of any of them, and were they older or younger than John?

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 19:36 BST (UK) »
If you know when your grandfather John Osborne died, his death certificate (and the GRO Index) will indicate roughly when he was born. You would then know for certain whether he was actually 22 in 1921 and it will help you find his birth registration.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
What about the 2 year old Johnnie OSBORNE born Whitechapel in West Ham 1901 census ref. RG13/1562 folio 87 page 34 - there appears to be a lot of kids but father is Harry (house painter) rather than William though :-\

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 06 19:55 BST (UK) »
That would match this birth ref:

Births Mar 1898
OSBORNE    John       
West Ham 4a 368

Perhaps William Harry was known by his second name? 

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO ANSWERED. I AGREE WITH CASALGUIDI, THINK THIS IS THE ONE, BUT NOW CAN'T GO BACK AGAIN. UNFORTUNALTY NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THE OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS WHERE CALLED, AND THE WITNESSES AT WEDDING  WERE HER SISTER AND FATHER, BOTH OF WHOM I KNOW ABOUT. WILL KEEP WORKING ON IT.  I LOVE THIS WEB SITE, SUCH A HELPFUL LOT OF PEOPLE, AND ITS GREAT TO TAP SUCH A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE. AGAIN, THANKS
Ong--Woodham Mortimer
Guckes---Kent & London
Ingram--Wrotham
Ridley--Ightham
Root--Trottiscliffe
Hollands--Wrotham
Brewster--Writtle
Martin--Polstead
Chippington--Stoke
Lawrence--Dartford

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 06 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Willis

Just a couple of additional thoughts...

Your grandfather John may well have been the son of Harry (William?) Osborne as per the 1901 Census. It is a dangerous assumption, however, so you should do what all good family historians do: start with what you know and work backwards. As I said, you ought to try to find out when John died so that you have a clearer idea of when he was born.

You may also consider the electoral registers:

John was supposedly age 22 when he married, so he ought to appear in the electoral register for the local area. With any luck he was living with his Mum and Dad just before he got married, so it may be worth searching for him in the electoral register for (say) 1920.

Best wishes
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline willis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 September 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
you will think me daft beyond believe, but how do you search the electoral reg.?
Ong--Woodham Mortimer
Guckes---Kent & London
Ingram--Wrotham
Ridley--Ightham
Root--Trottiscliffe
Hollands--Wrotham
Brewster--Writtle
Martin--Polstead
Chippington--Stoke
Lawrence--Dartford

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 September 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
They should have the electoral registers at Newham Local Studies

http://www.newham.gov.uk/Services/ArchivesAndLocalStudiesLibrary/AboutUs/LibrariesLocalStudies.htm

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk