Author Topic: Of all the surnames in all the world..  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Of all the surnames in all the world..
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
Most of my unusual names seem to hail from Shropshire as well. MInd you most of the English in me is Shropshire, so...........................

A Great County  :)

Gadget - back again after a power cut  :)

PS plus at least half of my Jones ancestors :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 September 06 10:15 BST (UK) »

A Great County  :)

Gadget - back again after a power cut  :)

PS plus at least half of my Jones ancestors :D

Great words Gadget ;) and, like you, I have tons of Jones ancestors :(

Jill, I used to go to college with a girl whose surname was Ikin........and I'm in Shropshire ;) ;)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
It's difficult as some surnames do originate from specific areas - so they were probably all related somewhere back in the murky past.

I have 8 Wheeldons living on the same street in a small town in Derbyshire - I've only conclusively identified 4 of the families as being 'mine.'  I keep trying to link the others in but no success so far.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 September 06 14:54 BST (UK) »
My Martin Meehan came over to England from Ireland and married a girl called Mary Kelly, whose mother's maiden name was Meehan.

I have a Hopps family on both sides of the tree and a Ridley family on both sides of the tree.

Then I find that my Hall family (who eventually were joined by marriage to one of my Hopps families) had, many years before that, servants by the name of Hopps.

As for the Mortimers and Littleboys.....Thomas Littleboy married Mary Mortimer. Mary Mortimer's brother Robert Mortimer, married Thomas Littleboy's sister Hannah Littleboy.

Now my head hurts!

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 September 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have 3 Smith lines, 2 Parker lines, 2 Ward lines, 2 Allen lines.....

I read that as 2 ALIEN lines to begin with and had to re-read it ;D

I am a Mrs Smith and in my husbands family not that far back there was a Smith marrying a Smith which was very difficult to unravel especially as Miss Smith had lied about her age to get married AND changed her middle name.

I am also working on my Clark family they are causing me a huge headache, I think the story goes something like this:

Robert Clark marries Mary, Robert dies, Mary marries his brother John (but have stated that they (John and Mary) are husband and wife in the 1861 census when I can only find a suitable reference for their marriage in 1865 and they had a daughter in 1862) Mary dies and John remarries another Mary.
This sounds quite an easy family riddle but I haven't added all the details because I would be here for ages typing this out  ::)

Well thats how I think the story goes, I am about to order a load of certificates to prove (or not) that this is the case
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,