Author Topic: Another George?  (Read 787 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Another George?
« on: Saturday 23 September 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Wiltshire board......In the census in 1841 George Mussellwhite is with his wife Charlotte and son Charles age 1. Between 1841 and 1851 something happens to George as Charlotte is next found living as a housekeeper to John Webb who she eventually marries in 1858,( but is having children with him from 1849 to 1859. I have never found a death for George but this evening have found this.

George Muslewhite  age  25  29 June 1841

Prison  County

Type  B (Bad means accused or convicted)

Destination  Tr 10 (transported for 10 years)

So i have a predicament, Is there another George born about the same time as my George (1816)or was this  the reason i could never find Charlottes husband after 41, but being reminded of the fact her next child in 1849 was born only child of Charlotte Mussellwhite  when she seems to be already living with John Webb. If anyone can find an elusive George Musselwhite(variations possible) it would really help.

Thank you kindly

Cheryle
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Another George?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
 ???  Evening again.......I think i may need some help as well   on this one. I eventually found a marriage for John Webb and Charlotte in 1858 as you can see from the ammended post above. Please can someone  explain why John Webb is down as having married in the 3rd Quarter 1858 5a 279 Alderbury, but there are two possible brides. One Charlotte Musslwhite and one Charlotte Musselwhite. I am banking on the second one but can you tell me  why they would both be down as 5a 279 or did the registrar just ommit to delete the first as there  was a spelling mistake :-\

best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryle

I think you have answered your own question.   The two Charlottes must be the same person, otherwise there would have to be another male.

Regards

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 19:00 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Colin,   I did have an idea that it would be the same Charlotte but the information is written in the original registration documents and i wondered if it was such an official document the mistake would not be rectified....but i suppose when writing in ink pen in long hand a simple error would have to be rewritten and i  cannot ever remember seeing any crossing outs.  :-\ It could throw you out though when in these small villages you often have girls and boys of the same name and similar dates of births.  Originally i found John on 5a 279 and tried to cross match the Quarter and year  with a Charlotte Mussellwhite but couldnt find her. But alls well that ends well and now i can apply for the certificate :) Thanks for taking the time to reply and best wishes

cheryle

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 06 19:42 BST (UK) »
hi cheryl
are these the children in question?
all baptised downtown wiltshire to charlotte musslewhite-
mary anne bapt 16th sept 1849
henry bapt 7th dec 1851
edward bapt 25th may 1856
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 06 21:47 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Alli, yes thats them. Then she marries in 1858 and i believe has a daughter called Fanney in 1859. I,m hoping that this child turns out to be baptised in hers and Johns names. Just such a shame for her that even though living wth John as 'Housekeeper' between the 1849 and marrying in 58 she has these children as a single woman, the fact that made my search early on so hard. Henry married as a Mussellwhite and died a Mussellwhite but  it looks like after Charlotte married in 1858 all her children became Webbs in the 61 and 71 cenus. And because i never knew she had married a Webb i couldnt find any of  them for over a year. Thank you for replying and if you come across a death for a Charlotte Webb in Alderbury  i would be very pleased. ;D ;D

best wishes cheryle