Author Topic: BMD request Re: Williamson  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BMD request Re: Williamson
« on: Sunday 24 September 06 00:27 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to locate the birth record (or any record) of my Gran Jeannie Williamson. Born 19 October 1913.

All I remember her saying, when alive, that she was was from Dundee.
My father states that she did reveal that she was removed from her parents when she was young. She had sister's and they were placed in an orphanage.
She did try to trace her sisters herself in the 80's unfortunately without success.

Any help would be appreciated.
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: BMD request Re: Williamson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 06 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoric

As am sure you know, your granmother's birth in 1913 is outside of the on-line birth records on Scotlands People (1905). Somebody here might offer to do a look up, but failing that, in your position I would contact the GROS to obtain a copy of the birth cert for Jeannie, see this link www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/hlpsrch/leaflet2.html

You have her name and birth date so this would be a quite straightforward search. With the info contained in the birth cert., you could find out details of her parents (and from this obtain their marriage cert. on line assuming they were married and possibly death certs.).

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BMD request Re: Williamson
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Firstly thanks to you and everyone who sent me a personal message regarding this query.
I've already sent for a birth certificate nearly a month ago, with no luck at present. There was suggestions of maybe her surname was changed in the orphanage as  the girls were removed from the family due to their father supposedly being violent and murdering a solider. Another suggestion was was adoption. I've recieved her marriage certificate from Bromyard but no father's name given just states 'Deceased'.

I'll just have to sit tight and see how this goes,
Regards to all,
Stewart
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire