Author Topic: Pallot's Marriage Index does it again - woo hoo  (Read 1002 times)

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
Pallot's Marriage Index does it again - woo hoo
« on: Sunday 24 September 06 08:17 BST (UK) »
This is my third attempt at posting this, as I have a new ergonomic keyboard and I keep hitting the wrong keys :(

I have just broken down one of my biggest brick walls with the aide of my cousin, Renee, and Pallot's Marriage Index on Ancestry

We have always thought that Stephen PALMER married the Portuguese girl, Maria deSilva in Portugal about 1811-1812 during the Peninsular War + their 1st child was born in Portugal at about that time.  Well, I received an email from Renee last night - had I looked at Pallot's Index on Ancestry, as she thought she had, at last, found Stephen & Maria's marriage - in Chelsea in 1814!

So I checked as well and am convinced it's them, but no church name, just Chelsea.  But after consulting GENUKI, narrowed it down to St. Luke's, and then found that ArchiveCD books had scanned the St. Luke's Registers, so ordered a copy late last night [you can tell the vino was flowing well !]  Chelsea in 1814 ties in with Stephen's military records - he was discharged from the Army in 1814 - in Chelsea - on return from the Peninsular Campaign, and also became a Chelsea Pensioner in September 1814.

This is great news especially as there is our PALMER Family Reunion this coming Saturday, 30 September, when over 50 assorted PALMER cousins/researchers will be getting together for our bi-annual "big chat".  Just hope the CD gets to me in time.

This is the 2nd missing marriage that I have found in the Pallot's Marriage Index on Ancestry - so the moral of this little tale is - when all else fails, check Pallot's!

Ann

CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pallot's Marriage Index does it again - woo hoo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Ann

I wish it was always that easy!  Have fun next Saturday and here's hoping the CD turns up in time ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pallot's Marriage Index does it again - woo hoo
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Congrats. I love to see those brickwalls come down. Have a great time at your reunion.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA