Author Topic: Calling all CSI sleuths  (Read 15993 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all CSI sleuths
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 October 06 22:16 BST (UK) »
Nor Kiddie appeared in panto in Robinson Crusoe at the Princes Theatre, Bradford, in 1924/5

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 October 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
There is a poster on sale on e-Bay for a 1950s Bernie Delfont production at the Stockport Hippodrome starring "Nor Kiddie - the popular comedian"

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
There was a musical written by the Gershwin's called "Oh Kay!" starring Gertrude Lawrence in London so I'm wondering if it's a Provincial theatre putting on the show? If they hadn't got permission to use Oh Kay! then perhaps O.K. or maybe it's a parody on the London Show.

Having trouble working out the name of the theatre - possible ???CETUGHTE unless it's something like ??NIGHTLY with the Y being very small and high up near the top of the L in which case it would be the tail end of TWICENIGHTLY.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Brilliant sleuthing everyone!  :D

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 October 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

MYSTERY SOLVED ... or mostly solved!

I have now received a copy of the original photo from my distant relative.  On the back is a date, June 14th, 1923 ... so we were close with our dating.  It is a post-card sent from a cousin once-removed to her brother, who was awell-known comic of the era, named Jack Herbert.

I attach a scan of the photo.  With the help of an old-fashioned magnifying glass, and strong light, the board says:

Gar Kiddie
Nor Kiddie

O.K.
A Magical
Musical Commedy
You will laugh 'till you cry!
Don't miss it!

What's more, just above the head of the second ladt from the right in the back row is another poster, on the wall behind her, which says "Cheltenham Colisseum"

So my relatives were a long way from their base in Yorkshire!

But this still leaves unexplained the name of the theatre preceding "Colisseum"  The original photo does not reveal anything new, except that there is some damage along the top of the photo, so the last character of the mystery word consists of an L-shape, with a diagonal going up and to the right, and another diagonal from that one, going up and to the left.  The apparent white horizontal line at the top is the damage.

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 08 October 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Well ... I now see that the damage I talked about got cropped out of the scan, so my description was probably just more confusing!!!

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 October 06 14:30 BST (UK) »
Four last letters .. ...  GATE

Ambers     
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 08 October 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
Tom,
       I'm glad you have a better picture,googling around Cheltenham ,there is a theatre called "Everyman"it was buit in the victorian era,and it has a look of your photo.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 08 October 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
Well, I'll be...

I know the Everyman well!

I don't recognise it from the canopy, but the theatre has undergone a few name changes and transformations since the 1920s.  Must find out more!

;)

Edit: Not sure about the ref to Cheltenham: http://www.everymantheatre.org.uk/information/history.html

There is another theatre still here, the Playhouse, but I can't find any mention of a Colisseum.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)