Author Topic: Calling all CSI sleuths  (Read 15992 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all CSI sleuths
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 12 October 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
Tim, I don't know why I didn't think of this before!  :-[

Coliseum Theatre, north side of Albion Street. Opened 22 Sept. 1913 as Gillsmith's Hippodrome, preserving facade of former Conservative Club. Renamed Coliseum 1919; a cinema from 1931; later Poole's Coliseum, after the owners, who operated several cinemas in Gloucester and Cheltenham (Moore, p. 33). Latterly a bingo/snooker hall and club.

Unless it has changed radically, I don't think the photo is of this building - I will try to find you a photo.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 12 October 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
This is not it, but the bigger building to the right IS:  ::) ;D

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Gloucestershire/Cheltenham/pictures2

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 12 October 06 08:20 BST (UK) »
Great stuff, Arranroots!  Many thanks.

By the way ... Doug ... do you have photos of the Kiddies?  I would imagine they must be in the photo, since it's advertising their own show.  The older man sitting directly behind the poster would seem to be of an age that fits your birth year, and the younger man sitting next to him could well be his son.

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 12 October 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
I don't mean your birth year, of course, I mean the birth year you provided for Gar ;D
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 12 October 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
Would the local rags newspapers for Cheltenham have photos of the building/various events there?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline bray7616

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 13 October 06 16:33 BST (UK) »
Tim -
No, I don't have any photos of the Kiddies, which is why I was pleased to have come across the one you posted.
Thanks a lot! 
Doug.

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 14 October 06 01:05 BST (UK) »
Well, Doug, that's a nice accidental benefit of me just trying to find out more about a mystery photo.  It's also what RootsChat seems to do so well!

Cheers
Tim

Offline Pogle1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I can add a bit to this. I'm reseaching my Family History and my Great uncle was Henry George Beard who was the Owner of the Coliseum from 1919 to the 1940s. Perhaps the poster says H G Beard? This is a great find for me and I'll add it to my files! :D

The local history society published some articles in its journals a few years ago. I've oredered copies of these and if anything relevant to the thread crops up I'll post it.
Beard, Coslett, Wood, Cooper, Thomas(!), Lloyd(!!) and Williams (!!!)

Offline Pogle1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Here's a picture I've found but unfortunately it dates to 1913 when it was called the hippodrome. However, it looks identical to the Coliseum photo on p3 here so confirms the location. The building has been empty for some time and proposal made more than once for demolition and redevelopment. Sad, but a sign of the times. At least there are images saved showing better times.
Beard, Coslett, Wood, Cooper, Thomas(!), Lloyd(!!) and Williams (!!!)