Author Topic: Rattigan late 1800's  (Read 4111 times)

Offline nefanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rattigan late 1800's
« on: Sunday 24 September 06 17:21 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on the Rattigan family in Roscommon, possible towns Strokestown, Castle Rea, Ballyhaunis.

Father - Martin Rattigan
Mother Sarah - Maiden name unknown.  She was a mid wife who died on the way to deliver a baby.  May have been well known.   All sons named a daughter Sarah after her.
Sons:
Thomas (Immigrated to NY)
Martin
Hugh
Patrick (Immigrated to NY)
Michael
William (Immigrated to NY)

Sons would've all been born early 1900's (possibly late 1890's)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Rattigan late 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello nefanee,

I looked at Griffith's Valuation of Roscommon 1857/8. There were a few in the county at that time. The towns you mentioned aren't shown. I've no way of knowing the distance between them and townlands where the Rattigans lived. Do you have some information that makes you think the family came from Ballyhaunis, Castlerea or Strokestown?

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline joe radigan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, I'm also looking for Rattigan's (all spellings). Specifically the brothers and sisters of Hugh Rattigan (1811-1891). Hugh married Mary Corr in 1845. Both , I believe, were from Castlereagh, Meelick, Irishtown, Co. Mayo Hugh's father was Williamborn abt 1780. Any long lost relatives out there? Thanks for your help.

Offline luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 08 11:28 BST (UK) »
1901 census extracts for Roscommon are available online.I noticed that many families used spelling Ratigan.Google for access.

Offline RoisininIreland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 08 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I've just started researching my Rattigan family in the Scrumogue area of County Roscommon around the time of the famine.  Here are websites I've found really helpful:  www.askaboutireland.ie (there's a section to search Griffiths Valuation), www.irish-roots.ie/roscommon.asp, www.roscommonroots.ie.