Author Topic: ESDALE Clydebank  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Viper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ESDALE Clydebank
« on: Sunday 24 September 06 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all, am searching for information on the surname Esdale who originate from Clydebank.

Not really sure where to start as grandparents will not pass on any information so as to do a family tree etc...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: ESDALE Clydebank
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Viper

Welcome to Rootschat!

Hard task ahead of you to start your research. If I can make one suggestion. If your grandparents were married before 1930, you should be able to find their marriage cert. on line on Scotlands People (see this link for certificates after this date www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/hlpsrch/leaflet2.html ).

Have a look at these links here on Rootschat to help you understand what's available:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Also, watch out on spelling variants of Esdale, with EASDALE being quite a common variant. When searching on Scotlands People, I would use wildcards to pick up on this variant by inserting  E*sdale or E?sdale.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 06 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Viper

Welcome to Rootschat!

Hard task ahead of you to start your research. If I can make one suggestion. If your grandparents were married before 1930, you should be able to find their marriage cert. on line on Scotlands People (see this link for certificates after this date www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/hlpsrch/leaflet2.html ).

Have a look at these links here on Rootschat to help you understand what's available:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Also, watch out on spelling variants of Esdale, with EASDALE being quite a common variant. When searching on Scotlands People, I would use wildcards to pick up on this variant by inserting  E*sdale or E?sdale.

Regards.

Monica

Monica, thanks for your time in providing the above response.

And yes I can appreciate that from here in the road is fairly long, so just after any help and guidance available in order to assist me on this journey :)

Grandparents were not married before the 30's, will have to try and find out the actual date. My Grandad was born in 1930, so at a guess they were married in the late 40's early 50's as they've gone past there golden wedding anniversary a couple of years back. Any places that I can check to get hold of marriage certificates after the 30's?

I'm actually from South of the border down in Manchester, and know that down here people pronounce the name Ez Dale. Whereas North of the border it tends to be pronounced Eees Dale. With that and the searches I've made so far it has thrown up around 4 different spelling variations, so yeah thanks for the wildcard search suggestions.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 06 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Viper

The cut off years to view records on line on Scotlands People are:

Births up to 1905
Marriages up to 1930
Deaths up to 1955
Census up to 1901

Given the time frame you are talking about, you will need to order your grandparents' marriage and or birth certs to find out details of their parents (see www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm.html).

Good luck and just post for additional help.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
From the last post I went away and have today received my grandads birth certificate, which has on it, his mother and fathers name and date of marriage.

However I can not find a record of that on the net, they were married in 1916, so the online records "should" cover this.

Offline snowwhite77

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Perhaps if you post their names someone may be able to assist you.

I know there are still Easdale families in Clydebank. I went to school with them.
Good luck with your search.
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
DRYSDALE - Kinross, Clackmannan
GORMAN, MOORE -Birkenhead
BELL DIAMOND Dunbartonshire
PRENTICE, HAMILTON CUNNINGHAM - Lanarkshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire
CROSBIE, SCOTT, STEVENSON, MORRISON, CHRISTIAN,- Wigtown