Author Topic: Bradford-on-Avon Marriage  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bradford-on-Avon Marriage
« on: Monday 25 September 06 07:08 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can help me.  I am searching for the marriage of Francis Mayell and Elizabeth Pearce.  Francis was born about 1800 and Elizabeth about 1803.  Their eldest daughter, Caroline Mayell, was born about 1826.  Their youngest son, William Mayell, was born 29 Jul 1842 at Whitehill, Bradford.  Francis was a stone mason.  I think Francis died in the March Quarter, 1848, in Bradford, Wiltshire.  I would be very grateful if someone can provide some information about Francis and Elizabeth.

Best wishes, Nibea.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford-on-Avon Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 06 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Nibea

Welcome to RootsChat - the friendliest place on the internet.
There is an extracted record for your marriage on the IGI viz
ELIZABETH PEARCE  Spouse:  FRANCIS MEYAL
Marriage:  02 OCT 1820   Westwood, Wiltshire, England

If you are not familiar with the IGI you can access it here -
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

It is the International Genealogical Index - a good starting point for pre 1837 birth and marriage data.

Trish

PS Extracted means it has been taken from parish records or BishopsTranscript. In this case it is batch M054811  film 0943589  and is from the parish register Church of England. Parish Church of Westwood-cum-Iford

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Trish,

Thank you so much for your reply to my post.  I have been looking for this for ages.  No wonder I couldn't find it, with the spelling variation.  Thanks, also, for the tips you have given me.  Best wishes, Nibea.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Nibea

Sorry, I just noticed this and realised I had a microfiche copy of the parish records for Westwood.

In addition to what it says on the IGI,  Francis is shown as a widower, whereas Elizabeth is a spinster. I know this seems to be extremely unlikely, given Francis's apparent age, but so it is. I couldn't find a previous marriage for him, going back to 1813, so this is a bit puzzling  ::)

Witnesses to the marriage are John Pearce and Ruth something-unreadable-starting with B. Looks a bit like Byford

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 07:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up the microfiche film for Francis Mayell and Elizabeth Pearce for me.  I have a feeling that Francis could have been a bit older as Elizabeth was a widow in 1851.  An earlier wife could have died quite young, perhaps in child birth.  It was interesting to receive the extra information.

Thanks again.  Best wishes, Judith.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again Nibea

Since the IGI doesn't do burials, would you like me to have a quick scan of the microfiche to see if I can find find a burial of wife no 1? I assume it's no good looking for Francis's burial if they'd moved into Bradford itself by then.....

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

You are very kind.  It would be great if you could look for the burial for wife no. 1.  Can you do that without a Christian name?  It would be interesting to find out more about Francis.  I have searched for so long, but have had no success.  I wondered if John Pearce, one of the witnesses at the marriage, could be Elizabeth Pearce's father.  I would think it could be possible.

Many thanks.  Best wishes, Nibea.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Nibea - I'll have a hunt and let you know. It relies on the idea that Francis was living in Westwood at the time, but it's worth a check.

Regarding the John Pearce witness, it's possible that it's Elizabeth's father but, for most of my relatives so far, witnesses tended to be siblings rather than parents. Still - might well be worth looking for John Pearce in case that gets you further than Elizabeth!

I had a quick look in 1841 and was very puzzled not to be able to find Elizabeth or any of her children. Wonder where she was  ::)

Best wishes

Angela

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
There is a family listed as Mail in 1841 - which may be yours. The ages are a little weird. Francis is listed as 35 (and transcribed as 55). Elizabeth is listed as 44

The children are
Caroline 20
Persilla 15
Ann 14
Samuel 12
Female name I can't read 8
Louisa 7

Could this be the family? Do you want the full details (I can't much read the occupation of Francis - Angela may be better at interpretation of enumerators writing  :)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk