Author Topic: Bradford-on-Avon Marriage  (Read 4479 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford-on-Avon Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 13:22 BST (UK) »
Well done Trish - beat me to it!

I think the occupation is Mason-something, but can't work out what  ???

Also think the 8-year old is Fanny.

Having had a quick look at the Westwood Burials, I found a Francis Mayell buried in what would be the March quarter of 1848 BUT the age is given as 4 months....... curiouser and curiouser......

The Mayells definitely had a connection with westwood as there are a few burials there where the residence is given as Westwood, so it looks like they went back to Westwood to be buried. I'm going to have a bit of a hunt in case I can find Francis's birth....

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 14:45 BST (UK) »
Nope - can't find anything that looks like Francis's birth.

I wonder whether anyone is going to the Records Office and could have a fish around the Bradford parish registers

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 23:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Angela,

Thank you so much for all your help.  I was not able to find the family in the 1841 census either, but it was obviously because of the spelling.  I can confirm the occupation - Francis was a stone mason, as was his son and grandson.  I wonder if the 4 month old child who died in 1848 was another son.  Maybe Francis snr died later.  It would fit in because 1851 census shows another son born in 1850.  It would be lovely if we could find a birth date for Francis, but only if it is convenient.

Best wishes, Nibea.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Trish,

It was wonderful news that you had been able to find Francis and Elizabeth in the 1841 census.  I had looked, but the spelling had me confused.  This family tallies with the 1851 census, except that Elizabeth was the head by then.  Following are the 1851 results:

Elizabeth Mayell  b. abt 1803 Bradford  Head  Pauper, formerly washerwoman.
Caroline Mayell   b.  abt 1836(???)  Bradford  Daughter  Pauper, formerly washerwoman.
Ellen Mayell  b. abt 1840  Bradford  Daughter  Scholar.
Hanny (Fanny?) Mayell  b. abt 1832  Bradford  Daughter  House servant.
Hudrick Mayell  b. abt 1850  Bradford  Son.  (What a name!!!)
John Mayell  b. abt. 1843  Bradford  Son.
Lousa Mayell  b. abt  1836  Bradford  Daughter  House servant.  (Probably Louisa)
William Mayell  b. abt 1842  Bradford  Son  Scholar  (my great grandfather)

Eventhough there are some differences with 1841, it seems to me that this is the same family.  There have been age discrepancies all the way through.  1861 has Elizabeth born about 1793, which would really be impossible.

Thanks, Trish, for all your help.  The jigsaw is coming together.  I find it really exciting.  Best wishes, Nibea.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Trish,

I just had a thought.  I wonder if "Hudrick" should be "Hubert".  That would fit because I had an uncle whose first name was "Hubert".  I think that is quite likely.

Thanks again.  Best wishes, Nibea.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Nibea

You seem to be realising that how names are spelt has little reality to how they sound & how they are written  ;D  ;D  - this concept can be a great help in family research. I have also found that ages can vary greatly between census - with ancestors often getting younger in middle age, and seriously older in later years.

Hubert said  with "accent 1" could certainly sound like Hudrick to a person with a different view of the language  ;D

I would think Persilla may well be Priscilla - you may be able to find a suitable marriage for this one.

regards
Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks for your comments.  They are very helpful.  I want to do more research, looking for marriages, etc.  I am also working on my mother's side of the family and plan to go to the library tomorrow to follow that up.  So, Francis and Elizabeth will be on the back burner for a while.  I'll let you know how I get on with it when I have done a bit of research.

Best wishes, Nibea.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again Nibea

Don't know if you noticed, but there was a Francis Mayell died DEC 1850 Clifton 11 250. Seems to be the wrong area, but still, it's a possibility I suppose.

Good luck with your research on your mother's side  :)

When you're ready to go back to Francis and Elizabeth, post again and if I'm going to the Wiltshire Record  Office around then, I'll have another look for you

Best wishes

Angela

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

The death you mention for Francis Mayell 1850 Clifton is interesting.  The time fits in with the birth of Hubert.  Where is Clifton?  I could not find it on the map.  I think it is a possibility as I have other ancestors who moved from Cambridgeshire to Somerset in the 1850s.  Also, I found a birth for a Francis Mayell 1781 Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire on IGI.  Steeple Ashton is not all that far from Westwood.  It is difficult to know for sure.  The only clue is his father's name, William, a name that was used again in the next generation.

Thank you for your offer of going to the Wiltshire Record Office.  That would be wonderful, but there is no rush.  As I said, I will be working on Mum's side for a while now.  Thanks again.  I am very grateful for all your help.

Best wishes, Nibea.