Author Topic: Bradford-on-Avon Marriage  (Read 4475 times)

Offline woodensue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford-on-Avon Marriage
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Nibea

I live opposit the cemetry in the village of Westwood Wilts, its only a small one but will go and have a scout around and see if I can see any head stones etc for you.

Will be in touch if successful

Have fun

Sue

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

What an amazing coincidence  ;D I was in Westwood yesterday looking for graves for my own family.....

I'm not sure I was looking in the right place though as I couldn't believe that the people of Westwood could possibly all have been buried there. The church I found was beautiful (marvellous gargoyles  ::) ) and right next to the manor house. Is that the only cemetery in Westwood?

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline woodensue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

No Westwood has a small cemetry away from the church, If you drive from the church back to the main road with pub opposit you turn left, carry on up the road, the road will narrow so you have to slow right down you will see on the right hand side a company called ALAMBA, the cemetry is opposit down a grassy lane.

what names are you looking for? i'm happy to go over and have a look for you?

Sue

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thank you for offering to look around in the Westwood Cemetery for me.  The names I would be looking for would be Francis and Elizabeth Mayell.  Their children were Caroline, Priscilla, Ann, Samuel, Fanny, Louisa, Ellen, William, John and Hubert.  I have looked in Free BMD and found some deaths, but none that are conclusive.  It will be interesting to see if you come up anything.

Thanks again, best wishes, Nibea.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for the information - it's very difficult to find these places  ::) Yesterday's trip round various cemeteries was seriously unproductive. I shall know for another time....

Thanks also for your kind offer to look around. I'm looking for Sheppards. Almost any 18th or 19th Sheppard is likely to be one of mine  ;D

Thanks again - it is really very kind of you.

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline woodensue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 October 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Went and had a walk aroung Westwood cemetery yesterday but nothing of great history came to light.

Sheppard

Winifred died 19-12-1956 age 73
Martha died 14-5-1973.

That was all I could see, lots of the headstones are missing so thats not to say there arnt more.

Mayell

Could not see any graves with this surname on at all.

Scaning the Westwood Book 2000 I see that in Bradford on Avon on the War memorial there is an entry to

Mayell F 1914-1919 War

Sorry that its not more, if you want me to look for any others etc just let me know.

Happy hunting

Sue

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 October 06 12:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue,

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.  I don't think Mayell F 1914-1918 is part of my family.  My immediate family emigrated from England to Australia in 1912 and I have tracked down most of the others.  I really think the family of Francis Mayell and Elizabeth Pearce had moved to Bradford fairly soon after Francis and Elizabeth were married.

Thanks again for looking.  Best wishes, Nibea.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 October 06 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Nibea,

There is an area in Bristol called Clifton. (The suspension bridge there is called Clifton Suspension Bridge.) If you Google a map you will see that it is not so very far from Bradford on Avon.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 October 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth,

Thanks for the information.  I had found the Clifton area you mention.  I think it's quite possible that my ancestor could have been in that area.

Thanks again.  Best wishes, Nibea.