Author Topic: John Jenkins Brewer of Llantrisant  (Read 1617 times)

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Jenkins Brewer of Llantrisant
« on: Monday 25 September 06 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello - I wonder if anyone knows of a brewery in Llantrisant in about 1830.    I have a John Jenkins a brewer on Pallots 1830 index of Llantrisant.   I am trying to connect him to my Richard Jenkins c 1776 who married Ann Moss in Bedwelty Mons in 1800.  I know that he was not born in Monmouthshire from the 1841 census and unfortunately died in 1843.    I cannot find where he came from.           I have found that there are alot of innkeepers/brewers called Jenkins in Llantrisant.

thank you
Diana

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Jenkins Brewer of Llantrisant
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
don't know if this will be of any use to you, but according to Genuki, the Glamorgan Record office hold the diary and accounts of John Jenkins, maltster of Llantrisant. The documents cover the years 1847 - 1880. I think at that time most brewing was done on a small scale and the beer would have been for local consumption, so you might find big breweries in urban areas, but outside of urban areas, lots of smaller concerns. In the Slater's directory of 1858-9  there are 2 maltsters in Llantrisant, one of whom is Richard Jenkins, but no brewers. At the same time, there were 10 brewers listed for Cardiff.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Jenkins Brewer of Llantrisant
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Osprey - that is very helpful.    So there was a Richard Jenkins there in 1858/9.    Certainly not mu Richard Jenkins 1776 - 1843 or his son who is in Tredegar.    So perhaps I am chasing the wrong family.

I will follow that one through in Llantrisant and see if he connects. 

Thank you so much
Diana