Author Topic: Braint yw cael dy eni'n Gymro........  (Read 8330 times)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Braint yw cael dy eni'n Gymro........
« on: Sunday 07 November 04 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this marvelous site and registered.

I would love to use the Welsh only section, but my Welsh just isn't good enough - my father was Welsh and I learned some when I was very young and living in a village in Wales, but I lost it all. I now live in Switzerland since many years and I sometimes think I am even losing my English!

As I say, I don't speak Welsh, but here is a verse I found some time ago that expresses my thoughts somewhat:

Braint yw cael dy eni'n Gymro
Nid a llwy arian yn dy geg
Ond a chan yn dy galon
A cherdd yn dy waed

Adrian

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Braint yw cael dy eni'n Gymro........
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 04 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,

no one minds if you make mistakes when speaking /writing Welsh - the main thing is to try. There is a Welsh speaking section there if you want to give it a go - at least Trystan and I have posted there.

I know what you mean about losing English though - I've been in Germany for over 10 years now, and sometimes I do have to stop and think.

The Welsh does come back though - I speak it to my daughter - my wife is responsible for German. You'll be surprised what you do remember.

Dal i fynd

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 04 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Go on give it a go!

Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!

Cofion Gorau
Jen ;D

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 04 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Well, I do have y geiriadur mawr and catchphrase 1 & 2, so maybe I will pluck up courage and give it a go in Cymraeg sometime,

ond nid heddew  ::)

D ap D:
Wo in Deutschland? Ich wohne in der nähe vom Zug in der Schweiz.
Ich nehme an das du Deutsch kannst, wenigstens ein bischen nach zehn Jahren.
Ich bin ziemlich fliessend - aber mit eine
schweizerdeutsche dialect. Wenn ich mit Leute aus Deutschland rede, muss ich aufpassen dass ich Hochdeutsch reden!

Grüsse aus der Schweiz
Adrian

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 04 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Grüezi Adrian,

unweit von Stuttgart. Bin eigentlich (auch) vereidigter Übersetzer/Dolmetscher. Mit dem Schwyzerdütsch komme ich auch zurecht, da ich 2 - 3 mal im Jahr nach CH fahre zum Schifahn. Hoch Ybrig ist geil!

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 04 16:27 GMT (UK) »
D

Interesting!
I have also done translation work, but strictly German to English only and only in my area of expertise - finance, tax and accounting. I have a couple of very good contacts in the translation business here in Switzerland if you need them, including French and Italian into English or German should you ever need that. We have to be multi-lingual here in Switzerland as you know!

Hoch Ybrig is only about 30 minutes from where I live. You probably don't know this, but the area at the bottom of the ski lifts in Hoch Ybrig is in fact a frozen lake that I have gone fly fishing on in the summer for trout in the past.

Adrian