Author Topic: Passenger lists or suggestions how to get them  (Read 1867 times)

Offline PERKINS

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger lists or suggestions how to get them
« on: Monday 25 September 06 23:02 BST (UK) »
My family travelled to Germany in 1909, how would they have got there.  They travelled to the Channel Islands on the Foam Queen.  Sometime after 1910 they travelled to Egypt would they have gone overland or is there a way to check if they travelled direct by ship.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists or suggestions how to get them
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 14:38 BST (UK) »
The outwards passenger lists are in the process of being digitised by Kew - this might help for those going to Egypt, although not for those to Germany as records to/from Europe weren't kept.  These won't be done with the digitising and indexing until sometime next year, although they aren't mentioning exact deadlines yet.

In Germany the main ports would have been Bremen and Hamburg, I believe.  You'd have to look into getting the records from that side, although I'm not sure how easy that is.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists or suggestions how to get them
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
how wonderful! does this mean they'll eventually be available online? I have a whole branch of my tree that was in the military and spent time (and had families) in Egypt and India.
I would guess though that they will only be available through 1837online...
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt