Author Topic: 1911 marriage can i get any info about these people from somewhere?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline em79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1911 marriage can i get any info about these people from somewhere?
« on: Tuesday 26 September 06 00:08 BST (UK) »
 :D  hi there!  i havejust looked on Bmd and found a marriage of a Joseph M Robinson to a Annie E Shepherdson in 1911 records held in leeds i need to workout if these people could be my great grandparents? any ideas on where to look or how to find out would be greatly appreciated?  i know my great grandfather was named Joseph Meredith Robinson and he was married to an Edith (?) so this could be them.  i realise there will be no census stuff yet but anything is better than nothing.

thank you!
em

Completed!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 marriage can i get any info about these people from somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
If they were married in 1911 they would have been living at the time of the 1901 census!

There is a Joseph M Robinson age 15 in leeds on 1901 census

What you need is your Grandfather's birth certificate-this would give your Great grandmothers maiden name.

Then you need marriage cert of Great grandparents -this should give name and occupation of father of bride and groom

Then we can (hopefully) track them down on the census

You could look for the birth reg on FreeBMD for your grandfather - 1911 onwards birth reg give mothers maiden name

It is always worth investing in certificates,

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 06 20:36 BST (UK) »
From Yorkshire BMD site it appears that the 1911 marriage took place at Hunslet District Registered Building so no parish records to look up I'm afraid.

Looks like the only way to find more on this marriage (if it is the right one) would be to order the certificate.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shellsbells

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 06 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Em

Yep, I agree with Suz ... I think the first place is to start is to give us the name and birthdate of your grandparent who would have been the child to Joseph and Annie / Edith  - perhaps the E in Annie E Sherperdson stands for Edith?

ILLINGWORTH, SCHOFIELD <br />Bradford, Wibsey, North Bierley, Bowling, Horton, Little Horton<br />BAXTER, ELKS, HALL<br />Salford

WOOTTON

Offline Shellsbells

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 September 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
Just had a look on Ancestory and BMD and the above marriage you were talking about is on Vol 9b pg1007 ... however there are two men, Joseph Robinson and Willie Barron and only one woman, namely Annie E Sheperdson .... so we can't presume that Annie married Joseph, it could quite as easily of been Willie ....  ::) Damn! they dont make things easy!  ;)

Unfortunately, I think one way or the other you will have to get your grandparent's birth certificate or the above marriage certificate of Joseph not mentioning Annie / Edith.

but please do give us as much details as possible of your grandparent because I am sure we will be able to find something off that too.

:D
ILLINGWORTH, SCHOFIELD <br />Bradford, Wibsey, North Bierley, Bowling, Horton, Little Horton<br />BAXTER, ELKS, HALL<br />Salford

WOOTTON

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 September 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
Shellsbells - Unlike Free BMD, Yorkshire BMD  http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/ specifies who married whom, and from that it's clear that Joseph married Annie E.

So if we have grandad's name and dob, a check with the Ancestry images will show mother's maiden name, and we'll know if the marriage is a possible or not.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shellsbells

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rambler  ;D

A-ha!  What a handy little site! ... Ive come across that site once before but havent been able to use it because my yorkshire area hasnt been transcribed yet! ( I dont think)

Anyway, seeing as I was mystified about the "missing" other woman I had a quick nosey and ... turns out Wille Barron married Florence M Atkinson.  ;) ... wooo-hooo! mystery solved!

Right Em, scrap that waffle of mine about the presumption of marriage .... but I shall re-iterate that the info on your grandparent would be handy! .... *mental note to self* I think Em gets the idea - enough already!  ::) heh heh

;D

WOOTTON

Offline em79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 06 01:05 BST (UK) »
hi and thankyou very much.  Busy little bees you all are. ok. My grandfathers name was Vincent Leslie Robinson but was known as Leslie - he was born february 1929 and ive gone and forgotten the date (that's really bad!) how awful!  i think its the 20th? He died a few years ago now very suddenly but he loved this sort of thing!  I know very little other than they were Roman catholic and his mum was quite devout.  He has an older brother Gordon and sister Marion i think she was younger.  They lived in Grafton street in Hull during the war i think it was number 8 i remember him talking about a neighbouring house that was bombed (the whole area was quite badly).  I know his dad was called Joseph Meredith Robinson i always thought Meredith was a girls name! so it stuck in my head.  I know his mum was called Edith but i don't know her maiden name. will have to get some certificates i think.  my uncle seems to think that they were both born in yorkshire somewhere but thinks Edith may have been from west yorkshire originally.  i can't find a marriage in Hull for them so it makes sense.  i don't know if any of that helps in any way! I hadn't thought about them being alive in 1901 of course they would have been.  feel a bit daft now!!!  :P never was good at maths! (Ironic really my grandad spent hours teaching me long division and algebra - funny its about all i can do now too)  anyway thank you again.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 06 07:16 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry images of GRO index at http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Vincent L ROBINSON - birth reg. Mar Q 1929, GRO ref. Sculcoates 9d 328.

Mother's maiden name: EGAN.

So the ROBINSON-SHEPERDSON marriage isn't the right one.  However, Yorkshire BMD has this marriage:

Joseph Hm ROBINSON
m. Edith EGAN, Sculcoates Register Office, 1926.

(Transcribed "Hm" - not sure whether that should be 2 initials, or whether they weren't sure if it was H or M.  ???)

If you order the marriage cert, that will give Joseph and Edith's age and occupation, as well as their fathers' names/occupations.  The GRO reference is Jun Q 1926, Sculcoates 9d 481.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk