Author Topic: Surname Interests  (Read 2439 times)

Offline AP

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Surname Interests
« on: Wednesday 18 February 04 05:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on ancestors/descendants of the name Phippen, who were living in or around the Axbridge, Mark, Uphill area of Somerset.  My gt grandparents George Davis and Maggie Phippen were married in St Nicholas Church, Uphill on Dec 26th 1925.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I would also like to hear from anyone who may be researching a Phippen line from Somerset or Glos.

Also Brimble, Crump, Marshall, Davis, Flower, Dingley, Rowsell.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Surname Interests
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 04 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ap,

I had a quick look at the Phippen surname and I was quite suprised to see how popular the name is and was in Somerset !

You say that your Great Grandparents were married on 26th Dec 1925, have you a copy of there marriage certificate  ??? If so this will tell us the names of their father's and also their trades and addresses etc

If not, I am sure we can soon get a copy for you ;D

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline AP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 04 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roots Chat,

I have the original copy of my gt grandparents marriage certificate, my dad kept it very safe.  However, I know nothing about my dad's family so I am looking for any descendants of my grandparents siblings etc, as well as tracing my ancestors.

AP :)

Offline BVS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 04 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I have the name of PHIPPEN in my family history.  A relation of my grandmother Jennette Hampton Hamblin, who was known to us as Auntie Flo (so far, I believe Florence was a cousin of my grandmother) was married to a Tommy Phippen.  I never met him.  Florence was a widow in the 1940's.  I was once 'farmed out' with German measles to stay at her home.  I was about 7 or 8 at the time (1946/7).  She used to refer to Tommy in conversations with other adults, and I have a belief that he worked in London in the Entertainment Business  (possibly in Agency work, not on the Stage) and possibly killed in London during the Blitz.   I have not researched this link as yet as it is off to one side of my Tree, but I will be looking into it sometime soon.  There were no children as I recall.  I did note that a Thomas Phippen of a suitable age was born in Somerset and I will look out the details if you wish
 regards
BVS

Offline AP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 04 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi BVS,

Thankyou for replying.  Your information is very interesting, my gt grandfather was Thomas John Phippen, born in Axbridge 1872.  I have just sent for his marriage certificate, so I hope to learn more about him soon.  I would be very pleased if you could find out anything on Thomas Phippen, was this information you saw from a census etc, or notes that you have in your tree.  
Thanks
AP

Offline julianne Rowsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Interests
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have Rowsell's in the somerset (mainly Paulton area)

I would be happy to share anf info i have
Rowsell/Baker/Hillard- somerset
Griggs/Poole/Pettitt -cambridgeshire
Whatmough/Bonnett -Rochdale
Jones- shropshire, Caernavonshire and Pontypridd
Stocker/Oliver-shropshire
Holt - London
Ellis/Griffiths/Burridge-Devon
Meakin - Ireland
Churchill/Nelmes - Glouchester
Rowe
Osborne/James - Glamorgan