Author Topic: Heckler  (Read 1478 times)

Offline exiledtyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heckler
« on: Tuesday 26 September 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered that I have an ancestor called Mary Heckler who married John Dean in Patrington in 1795.  I have tried the IGI records of baptisms for just about every parish around Patrington  and have drawn a blank.  Has anyone out there come across this surname?
Many thanks.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Heckler
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

Not a lot of help, but

Did you notice that the IGI has 2 entries for Mary Heckler's marriage to John Dean, one is a submitted entry with a year of 1795 and the other is an extracted record with a year of 1792.

Perhaps Mary was christened in a non-conformist chapel/church, unfortunately not all of those type of records have survived

The 1841 census shows 61 people called Heckler in the whole of England, 35 of which where resident in Yorkshire, but none of them are living in the Patrington area.

Bee :)

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline exiledtyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I hadn't noticed the discrepancy in the 2 dates.  Funny thing is I can't find Marriages for this date in the IGI batch numbers for Patrington at all.

The first child (that I know of) was born in the August of 1795 which would make the 1792 date favourite unless Mary was happy to walk down the aisle 8 months pregnant!!

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 15:49 BST (UK) »
unless Mary was happy to walk down the aisle 8 months pregnant!!

It was a common occurrence with a lot of my ancestors ;) ;D

the IGI extracted record gives a batch number M007853 dates 1732-1812, don't know if that's of any help .

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline exiledtyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 15:54 BST (UK) »
Oh it was with mine as well.  All too often they didn't make it to the church on time!!
If the 1792 record was extracted  and the 1795 one was submitted, yet there is no IGI batch recording for Patrington Marriages of this era I wuppose I am going to have to visit or write to the ERYO.  Will they give the info from the register even if it was pre 1837?  And might it contain details fo parents etc?

Offline exiledtyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry about all of this. I am not too good at it yet.  However I typed in the Batch No. you quoted and hey presto I have the Patrington Weddings for the earlier years.  On that both MAry Heckler and John Dean are separately entered as marrying in 1792 and the 1795 record for her is not on it so I guess I can say that the submitted record for 1795 was incorrect.

THanks for your help

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 16:02 BST (UK) »
The archives for the east riding are kept at Beverley, it might be worth contacting them at www.eastriding.gov.uk/learning  or email archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk

Just out of curiosity I did a parent search of the IGI and there are 4 children born in the 1790's at Roos with parents called John & Mary Dean

happy hunting
Bee :)

ps although there are mistakes on the IGI, extracted records are a lot more reliable than submitted ones