Author Topic: Dowlais 1851 census/birth lookup  (Read 6718 times)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dowlais 1851 census/birth lookup
« on: Sunday 07 November 04 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am of Welsh origin and live in Switzerland. On my father's side, the Welsh line married into an immigrant Roman Catholic Irish family who probably came to Wales during the great famine. Below is the 1861 census that shows John Dinneen as being born in Dowlais and 10 years old - therefore probably born in 1851. Whether he was born before or after the 1851 census date I do not know. He was baptised in Cheltenham a few years later.
I have not been able to find the family anywhere in the 1851 census so far, and my hope is that the family were around Dowlais at the time of the 1851 census, or that local birth records will show the birth.
The name Dinneen was often horribly mangled in the cesus's, so the christian names and places of birth have proved useful finding them in other records.
There were other Dinneen families in the area in 1851, but I have no idea if they were related to family.
John's younger brother David is my direct ancestor, but finding John would help me get more information on the family and maybe even show where George and Ellen came from in Ireland.

Name   First Names   Age   Relation   Occupation   Born:
               CTY   Place
DINNEEN   George   46   Head   Chair Bottomer   Ireland
DINNEEN   Ellen   48   Wife         Ireland
DINNEEN   George   12   Son   Scholar      Peterborough
DINNEEN   John   10   Son   Scholar      Dowlais, Wales
DINNEEN   David   8   Son   Scholar   Glos   Cheltenham
DINNEEN   Ellen   4   Daur   Scholar   Glos   Cheltenham
DINNEEN   Patrick   2   Son   Scholar   Glos   Cheltenham

I would be grateful if anyone might be able to provide information on the above.

Thanks
Adrian

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dowlais 1851 census/birth lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have looked through the Glamorgan 1851 census and there is only one Dinneen entered (a Bat Dinneen from Ireland):

2458 1851 CENSUS OF PEDWRANFACH DISTRICT. REF.H.O.107/2458, E.D.20.                                                                 
Piece: 2458      Folio: 527     Schedule: 067
Address: PEDWRANFACH           
CRONIN WILLIAM             HD M  62   SHOEMAKER                 
                                      IRL KILBROGA                     (c1789)
CRONIN MARY                WI M  56   -                         
                                      IRL KILBROGA                     (c1795)
CRONIN WILLIAM             SO U  19   SHOEMAKER                 
                                      IRL KILBROGA                     (c1832)
CRONIN JOHN                SO -  12   SCHOLAR                   
                                      IRL KILBROGA                     (c1839)
MC CARTHY JOHN             LG U  20   SHOEMAKER                 
                                      IRL KILBROGA                     (c1831)
DINNEEN BAT                LG M  32   SHOEMAKER                 
                                      IRL KILBROGA                     (c1819)

There are a few more by 1861 here are the ones listed:
             Glamorgan Family History Society 1861 Census CD

4061 015 109  QUARRY STREET 97       DINEEN BARTHOLOMEW         HD M  41    IRL -     

4061 015 109  QUARRY STREET 97       DINEEN CHARLES             SO -   7    GLA MERTHYR TYDFIL

4061 015 109  QUARRY STREET 97       DINEEN DANIEL              SO -   4    GLA MERTHYR TYDFIL     

4061 015 109  QUARRY STREET 97       DINEEN ELLEN               WI M  37    IRL -         

4061 015 109  QUARRY STREET 97       DINEEN JOHANA              DA U   9    GLA MERTHYR TYDFIL

4067 019 163  BANK ST.11/12 LDG HSE  DINNEEN JOHN               LG U  24    YKS BINGLEY                     

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 04 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Jen,

Thanks for the help. I wonder if "bat" (bartholomew) is one of the "lost brothers" of family saga. Guess I will only find out if I can actually trace the family in Ireland itself.

Thanks
Adrian

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 04 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Ohh Ireland, In the same position as me with the Irish ancestry and no records to help!

Nevermind we live in hope!  :D

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 November 04 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Jen,

Nice to know I'm not alone with my Irish/Welsh gaelic ancestry problems   ;D

I have the particular problem that my Dinneen Irish ancestors were Roman Catholic and kept a very low profile as well as being the poorest of the poor. They did not register any of their children's births and I was lucky to find the children's baptisms at the catholic church in Cheltenham that gave me additional information - but not enough that I could trace any further back!

Whsat is your Irish connection if I may ask?

Adrian

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 04 16:28 GMT (UK) »
My Colbert ancestors were also R.C. All documentation in Wales states their birthplace as "Ireland" not a very helpful bunch, ..........You think they could have spared me a thought trying to track them down 160 yrs later!  ;D

I managed to find their burial plots they were also very poor and both died in Swansea Workhouse in 1885 & 1905. It doesn't help that they vary their ages and dates of births!

As I am doing a study for that surname (with the guild of one name studies) I have found that the name is known in the Munster region, with Limerick, Wexford, Waterford and Cork known places for Colbert's. People are kind enough offering help but once they know that their christian names are Michael, Patrick and John they run a mile!  ;)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 04 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Jen,

LOL    ;D

I have also been the graveyard route: I found the graveyard of george dinneen - the original Irish ancestor. Found the plot number and everything.
My brother was on a trip from Manchester to Cornwall, so I asked him to stop off in cheltenham and go to the grave, take pictures, write down inscriptions etc. I even aranged by telephone for the manager to meet my brother and take him to the correct plot.
Imagine my disapointment when my brother phoned me that evening to tell me that the manager took him to a plot that was just a large square of cut grass that turned out to be a common grave for the poor !!!!!!

Good luck with the one name study - that is a huge task that I am not sure I would like to take responsibility for.

Adrian