Author Topic: Griffith's Valuation Updates  (Read 734 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Griffith's Valuation Updates
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 00:45 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can throw some light on Griffith's Valuation Updates. I thought that the Valuation took place during the years 1848 - 64. One of the speakers at the UFH Lectures on Monday mentioned that there were updates from 1864 ... in some cases up to the 1920s. I did a "search rootschat" with no success. Does anyone have suggestions where I might start looking for these Updates?

I have just found a mention to the Updates on the Waterford County Museum website in an item headed "Ardmore Memory and Story"

Updates are available at The Valuation Office, Irish Life Centre, Dublin.

The Updates for the north of Ireland are available at The Public Record Office, Balmoral Avenue.

The Cancelled Land Books and Current Books are updates of the Valuations. If you are looking in the LDS FHC these books have a different name. Land and Property or Valuation Records. Rootsweb has an article on Census Substitutes. The author was not certain of the correct title but thought it might be "Land Valuations 1859-1956". That's further into the 20th century than mentioned by the speaker at the UHF Conference. Apparently enumerators called with everyone mentioned on the Valuations and checked that the property belonged to the same person. If the head of house had died or the family had emigrated the new details were noted in a book. The original tenants name was crossed out and the new name entered.