Author Topic: Disappearing Prostitute?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline RachelK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Disappearing Prostitute?
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 00:49 BST (UK) »
My g x3 Aunt was called Hannah Poole born c1861 Shrewsbury.

She appears on the 1881 census as an inmate at the dana prison, unmarried and listed as a prostitute. If anyone has access to court sessions or prison records I'd love to know what they say about her if anything.

Also, after this census I can't find her again and can't find a record of a marriage or death.

However in 1891 I find a Hannah Gill b1860 St Mary, Shrewsbury. Unmarried and living as a boarder, occupation seamstress (which could be a euphemism for prostitute.) I can't find Hannah 'Gill' before this census, so is it possible that it could be my Hannah Poole having changed her name?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, thanks.
Staffordshire - Kendrick, Higgs, Ralph, Mears, Egginton, Simkiss, Beebee, Hartshorn, Pitt, Howard, Law, Hilton, Humphreyson,
Worcestershire - Kendrick, Onions, Timmins, Harvey, Stephens, Hill
Shropshire - Williams, Wilcox, Moreton, Poole, Gennoe, Stedman, Astley, Morris, Roe
Carmarthenshire - Naylor
Montgomeryshire - Williams, Wilcox
Middlesex - Silver, Martin
Suffolk - Chenery
Somerset - Owen, Chorley, Rugg
Lancashire - Evans, Silver

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: disappearing prostitute?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 06 10:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry to ruin your theory, but there IS a Hannah Gill on previous census entries
in Shrewsbury
1871 age 11 with grandparents RG10/2775 folio 39 pg 12
1861 age 2 with parents RG9/1870 folio 21 pg 4 in Shrewsbury St Mary
1881 dressmaker's apprentice RG11/2653 folio 29 pg 52 but enumerated as age 29.

Haven't spotted your Hannah Poole though. 
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: disappearing prostitute?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Rachel

Have you tried contacting the Shropshire Archives:

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

They do searches 'at a disance' and are very helpful. They are the most likely repository for local court and prison records.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline alnat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing Prostitute?
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 06 21:20 BST (UK) »
The site Gadget mentioned has an online catalogue and there are a lot of transcripts of Quarter Sessions records on there. Use the link at the bottom of the home page.

The 'search' facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment or I'd have a look for you.
Wellington/Dawley areas - Attwood, Podmore, Wall
Sheffield - Oxspring
Machester - Clarkson
London - Whiffen/in
Leics. - Wass

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 13:25 BST (UK) »

The Quarter Sessions have to be viewed in the Reading Room (I know because I've done it several times!!!).  I think the staff will charge you for checking out these records.

I would offer to check them for you but I have a huge look-up list already, but if you are prepared to wait, then I will see what I can find.

With current working commitments I don't get to the Archives as often as I would like.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline RachelK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all for your help and suggestions. LLoydy, your offer is very kind and I'd be very happy to be added to your list, although I fully understand you already have a lot of people requesting look ups from you.

Family history research is rarely a quick process though, so I'm prepared to wait and if you ever have the time I'd love to know anything you find out. Thanks again.

Rachel.
Staffordshire - Kendrick, Higgs, Ralph, Mears, Egginton, Simkiss, Beebee, Hartshorn, Pitt, Howard, Law, Hilton, Humphreyson,
Worcestershire - Kendrick, Onions, Timmins, Harvey, Stephens, Hill
Shropshire - Williams, Wilcox, Moreton, Poole, Gennoe, Stedman, Astley, Morris, Roe
Carmarthenshire - Naylor
Montgomeryshire - Williams, Wilcox
Middlesex - Silver, Martin
Suffolk - Chenery
Somerset - Owen, Chorley, Rugg
Lancashire - Evans, Silver

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Rachel

I have added Hannah's details to my list....all I can say is please be patient with me ;D

Also, I see that you have Wilcox from Montgomeryshire......I do too!!!!!  Could you PM with your names please?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand